French Brune

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommidolcetto

Nobody Much
Reaction score
Hi.
Planning this for next week.

18 litres
Munich II Weyermanns 3.Okg
MO pale malt 0.5kg
Light Wheat malt 0.5kg
Special B 0.4kg

Lightly hopped with Northern Brewer and Styrian Goldings.
Wyeast WLP072 French Ale yeast.

On my phone so not got exact details.
Approx 6% abv SRM 17
Mash 90 mins at 66C

Questions - should I be doing anything special in the mash?
- is it too much wheat? Or Special B?

All feed back welcome,
Tom

Too much dark Munich. It will require long time to mature and tone down grassy flavour of melanoidin. Replace with pale Munich if possible.

No idea if this is similar to old brune (brown) and i've only had it once but i find it very sweet so i would of thought mashing in higher would be more ideal for it , but as mentioned i haven't tried the french brune so it may not be the same ish .

Thanks for replies.

The Munich is the base malt for dark lagers. I'll swap some out for extra MO, Got it from sponsor who recommends using it as 80% of grain.

The style I'm looking for is Pelforth Brune and it definately has some sweetness and is quite dark. Not as rich or complex as an Oud Bruin though.

Would a high temp mash affect the sweetnes?

Cheers

Yes higher mash temp (67/68c) will produce more unfermentable sugars so you will end with a higher gravity reading making the beer sweeter :thumb:

Yes Ed I saw this recipe, also found somewhere that insisted that Munich Type 2 malt was the base, I've sort of combined the two - the pale and the Munich come to 75% and the wheat, sugar and Special B are the same as IPA used, the colour and bitterness seem really high on his recipe so I've toned those down a bit. Not really bothered about an exact clone just the style which to me is malty with sweetness.

Tom

Back