Fridge question...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midlife

Reaction score
I haven't got round to buying the fridge yet and just started looking again... Allot of them say don't use in outbuildings or unheated areas, or they say a temp range 10C to 30 etc.... I presume that may be a problem for normal food use, but I'm going to use it modified with the temprature controller just for lagering.

So do I ignore this, or do I need to be looking for one that's garage use?

It's also got me thinking why does that worry a fridge anyway? If the garage temp falls below the thermostat setting it won't be running!... Am I missing something or having a thick moment?

Cheers

D

I wouldn't be too bothered. I got my fridge from the local recycling centre and I keep it outside with a plastic sheet over it :lol:
Works brilliantly :cheers:

As mentioned above most fridges need to be in a 'warm' environment in order to work effectively... I think Beko fridges may be the exception. Then again, as you have correctly pointed out, if it's cold outside you won't need the fridge to be on.

The only exception is if you want to lager at say 2degC when it's 6degC in your garage.

jonnymorris said:
As mentioned above most fridges need to be in a 'warm' environment in order to work effectively... I think Beko fridges may be the exception. Then again, as you have correctly pointed out, if it's cold outside you won't need the fridge to be on.

The only exception is if you want to lager at say 2degC when it's 6degC in your garage.
When I was looking at a second chest freezer to go in the garage, I also found that BEKO were the only fridges suitable for the outdoor temperature range, but in the end I bought a Bosch as I have always found them really reliable. Now after 3 years of use I have had no problems with it at all despite sub-zero conditions out there. My brother bought a BEKO fridge/freezer at the same time and that no longer works by the way.

For a beer fridge I would just grab whatever is cheap, local and is big enough to fit your beer in.

Maysie said:
My brother bought a BEKO fridge/freezer at the same time and that no longer works...
About as far from statistically relevant as you can get.

I too have a cheap non-Beko fridge from Ebay but use it more as an insulated box than fridge... except in summer.

Latest posts

Back