frothy bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfr42

Landlord.
Reaction score
Bottling day today.

Thought I'd have a sneaky 6 week old youbgs American ipa during clean up which froth all over the bench in the shed leaving less than a sixth of a pint of very yeasty stuff.

Chilled another while adding vwp to various vessels (which was wonderfully hoppy) grabbed another from the shed and again it frothed...
Got half of this one in a glass and very cloudy (pretty sure i'll pay for drinking it) but it tasted great.

Not my best siphoning to secondary and then to bottles but any thoughts on why I had 2 (out of 3) frothy bottles that have been kept in the shed for now 6 weeks...and how I can avoid it in future.

How do you prime? If batch priming, ensure you mix the sugar solution evenly through the beer.

You mention syphoning. If any hop debris got into the bottles, these can act as nucleation points for any dissolved CO2. This can cause overcarbonation and gushing.

How much primer did you use? Did you batch prime or do each bottle individually, and had it stopped fermenting before you bottled it? Did you condition for a couple of weeks at fermentation temperature? Sorry, lots of questions, but one might hold the answer!

I'm not a pro but would say it is either bottling before primary is complete or over priming on bottling. Most likely primary fermentation not complete. Do you have a record of FG? Did you check gravity was stable over a few days and down to expected FG? These are essential steps before bottling.

Chill them really cold in the fridge for several hours - should stop the gushing. Probably your primary fermentation had stalled just before completion, so it looked like it had properly finished, then restarted in the bottle. Happens to everyone occasionally.

Sounds like over priming. I have it with my honey ale. I just open two bottles at a time into a large jug, let it settle and then pour a pint

Thanks batch primed with the young's ipa kit sugar. Maybe shoukd habe swirled more, but a fair amount of hop debris in some of the later bottles so blaming that at the moment.

Latest posts

Back