Frozen wart for starters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldlager

Reaction score
Hiya,

I'm planning on cooking up and all grain batch over the weekend and wondered if I could freeze some of the wort, post sparge, for making yeast starters in future. This would save me getting extract to make a quick wort.

Anyone done this before?

phettebs said:
I do this and it works great. It saves mixing up a DME starter!

Me too :thumb: At least when I remember.. starter to make for next week and the freezer is lacking :(

Frozen wart for starters

Whats for main course, fried verrucaes

:lol: :lol:

Yes I freeze wort for starters just boil it up again before you use. I actually still have some wort running from the mash after i have got my volume for the boil much lower abv probably 1020 but idea for starters.

:thumb: :thumb:

Awesome. I might put a couple handfuls of extra grain in the pan then to compensate for the wort i'm gunna bottle up and freeze, or just do a small second run after finishing sparging the main wort or even take some of the first run offs as that will contain more goodies for the yeast!

Now I must remember to label it correctly for fear of it being used for stock in soup lol

You only need a wort of 1020-30 for a starter you don't want to stress the yeast with a high gravity. :thumb: :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
You only need a wort of 1020-30 for a starter you don't want to stress the yeast with a high gravity. :thumb: :thumb:

That's perfect then, i'll use the dregs :)

Thanks for your help.

Now I don;t have to feel guilty about splashing out on the more expensive yeast strains.

It is also possible to freeze yeast in small quantities ie 50ml by mixing the slurry with glycerine and boiled and cooled water in the ratio 2:1:1 Yeast:Glycerine:water. But make sure it is either not in a freezer with an auto defrost setting/frost free freezer or if it is then put it in a box made out of polystyrene to keep it insulated so if it does go through a defrost cycle it stays frozen.

Hope that makes sense

:thumb:

graysalchemy said:
It is also possible to freeze yeast in small quantities ie 50ml by mixing the slurry with glycerine and boiled and cooled water in the ratio 2:1:1 Yeast:Glycerine:water. But make sure it is either not in a freezer with an auto defrost setting/frost free freezer or if it is then put it in a box made out of polystyrene to keep it insulated so if it does go through a defrost cycle it stays frozen.

Hope that makes sense

:thumb:

What an excellent piece of advice, after all the threads i'd read on here and videos on youtube i've not seen this mentioned before.

I will have to experiment with this. Have you ever re-activated frozen yeast successfully yourself? Does it take longer than normal to get going again?

I have a freezer full of yeast but not actually reactivated them but I do remeber when I started out on this yeast bank journey some memebrs were doing it with great success.

The problem with freezing yeast is that on thawing the cell walls rupture thus depleting the viability of a sample. However using gycerine supposedly limits it. The problem of modern freezewrs with frost free thaw cycles is the potential problem though.

If you search the web there is quite a lot about it, however most books and peopel in authority don't advise it saying that agar cultures is the best way.

graysalchemy said:
I have a freezer full of yeast but not actually reactivated them but I do remeber when I started out on this yeast bank journey some memebrs were doing it with great success.

The problem with freezing yeast is that on thawing the cell walls rupture thus depleting the viability of a sample. However using gycerine supposedly limits it. The problem of modern freezewrs with frost free thaw cycles is the potential problem though.

If you search the web there is quite a lot about it, however most books and peopel in authority don't advise it saying that agar cultures is the best way.

Cool. Well I have a crappy old freezer so no probs. What's the best way to thaw the yeast, quickly with tub in warm water bath or just left at room temp?

Cheers

You could also - after sparging and getting your wort out for boiling - then add another 5 ltr of sparge temp water to whats left in the mash tun - give it a good stir then let it sit for a couple of hours then drain that off. Then use that stuff for the starters. :cheers:

screamlead said:
You could also - after sparging and getting your wort out for boiling - then add another 5 ltr of sparge temp water to whats left in the mash tun - give it a good stir then let it sit for a couple of hours then drain that off. Then use that stuff for the starters. :cheers:

I've been experimenting with this method, works great.

After the 'mash' but with BIAB I take the bag out of the main wort, shove it in another pan or pot, pour some hot water over the bag then elave it to drain for a bit and use that liquid. I don't even leave it to mash properly or anything. Assuming without the proper mash the gravity will be nice and low to give the yeasties a decent start.

I've made 5 or 6 yeast starters now using this method, it's working great. Also means you get that little bit more out of your malt. Fermentation has started very fast, within half an hour using this method. Cheap, cheerful and effective. :thumb:

DirtyCaner said:
Is is necessary to reboil the frozen wort if it has been sored in sterilised bottles?

I re-boil for 10-15 mins even if already boiled. Better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back