Fruit flies

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calumscott

Regular.
Reaction score
Crazy question...

...I have still a few bottle of not-really-very-good-at-all porter which just refuses to get any better. Waste not want not and all that, it could serve to be a perfectly decent malt vinegar.

Liking to keep some modicum of control over things - I plan to catch fruit flies and introduce them in a controlled manner.

What's the best way to catch them? Or another way of looking at it - what do you do to try to keep them away and I'll just do the opposite! :lol:

...oh - and do I want to aerate the beer or let the vinegaring happen slowly?

from your next brew leave a bit of the throw away trub from the bottom of the fv in an open dish at the side of your to be vinegar.... they will come.

I have got a dish with a little cider in it which I am going to add to a gallon of cider. Before now I have had beer go off and I kept it and from that I kept the 'mother of vinegar' which is the sludgy bacteria suspension and used that to incoculate other batches. Unfortunately the last time I did it didn't seem to work so Hence trying to get the fruit flies to do the job. :thumb:

Mother of Vinegar are little nematodes aren't they? Microscopic worms that carry acetobacter...

calumscott said:
Mother of Vinegar are little nematodes aren't they? Microscopic worms that carry acetobacter...

:eek: :eek:

:sick:

I thought Mother of Vinegar was just the sludge of bacteria.

Shudders.

Once had an all night session with a local gamekeeper, we supped Pocheen and ate roll mops throughout the night.........

go on..... ask me if I was bad the next day......

calumscott said:
Mmmmmm... pickled Eels! :thumb:
If you've got a local Polish delicatessen, look out for smoked eel :thumb:

Re. fruit flies, you are welcome to come to my house and collect as many as you want :evil:

Smoked eel sounds awesome!

Hmmm... This thread and puravida's might cross at some point... :thumb:

Latest posts

Back