Fruit Tea Bag disaster

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1611

Reaction score
Tried to make a batch of fruit tea wine tried n tested recipe20 fruit tea bags from Lidl but ............. started out out ok was fermenting nicely for about a week .Fermentation suddenly stopped .Used Youngs super yeast compound first reading was 1100 now 1070 .Did 2 batches of 4 litres 1.250 kilos sugar in each both stopped .Wrongly or rightly added another spoonful of yeast but still dead Temp was a steady 24 % .Any ideas ?

Did you use any nutrient?

1.250 is a lot of sugar but i don't think it should have been too much for the yeast, give it a good shake and bear in mind it'll take time for the new yeast to start so keep your fingers crossed.

Many thanks ,The Yeast contained nutrient but when it stopped I added more nutrient but still no sign of life :( tried shaking but will try again .Think i might keep to kits lol!!

very very slow bubble one every 2 mins :( (after 2nd dose of Youngs Super compound) .Ribena one going like the clappers .Like I said was going well just stopped :(

Update
Finally stopped bubbling and its surprisingly good. Not my cup of tea as its very sweet but it packs a punch more like a dessert wine but at 40p a bottle cant complain

I have a 5 gallon batch going at the moment made using 4 bags of sugar, 3 bottles of aldi summer fruits squash & a bag of last years blackberries from the freezer (to add some nutrient).
Using Wilko wine yeast & nutrient & about 3 teaspoons of tannin powder.

Its bubbling away - although my 'squash' wines always appear to ferment quite slowly.

Not that I drink it. Its for my pennyless student offspring & their friends

I have a 5 gallon batch going at the moment made using 4 bags of sugar, 3 bottles of aldi summer fruits squash & a bag of last years blackberries from the freezer (to add some nutrient).
Using Wilko wine yeast & nutrient & about 3 teaspoons of tannin powder.

Its bubbling away - although my 'squash' wines always appear to ferment quite slowly.

Not that I drink it. Its for my pennyless student offspring & their friends
sounds good ! , did you boil the Aldi squash ? .I tried Aldi blackcurrant wine but even although I boiled the squash to remove the chemicals ended up with a non alcoholic sickly sweet goo .Had to throw it away

Yes, I simmered it for 30 minutes.
Because I had a few real blackberries in it, it also stood overnight with a couple of campden tablets & some pectolase before I added the yeast.

I expect it to end up fairly sweet anyway.
But I do find they take a long time to ferment. I suspect this is lack of nutrients as even with several scoops of yeast nutrient, I end up with low levels of sediment.

Latest posts

Back