Fullscale BIAB Mashout (no sparge)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Efficiency is affected by a number of things. Different types of pale malt produce different yields. A fine grain crush helps, and is possible with BIAB. A mashout helps, I believe, because hotter water removes more sugars. And a full length sparge with water at sparge temperature helps too. But a lot of BIABers put all their water in the mash and get very good efficiency. I think if you do that then raising the temperature of the mash to mashout temperature before removing the grains will help efficiency.

But efficiency isn't the be all and end all. It's most important to be able to predict your efficiency pretty accurately, so you can hit your numbers. You can add a bit more grain, which won't cost much, if you are not hitting your OG. Adjust your efficiency setting on your software and use a consistent method that works for you. The amount of water you use should be similar every time, it should only vary according to how much grain you mash with and how much beer you are making. If you use tons of hops you will lose some to the hops, too, of course. But if you make the same batch size every time there should be little if any difference in the amount of water required. If you end up 3 litres short, use an extra 3 litres next time.

Efficiency is affected by a number of things. Different types of pale malt produce different yields. A fine grain crush helps, and is possible with BIAB. A mashout helps, I believe, because hotter water removes more sugars. And a full length sparge with water at sparge temperature helps too. But a lot of BIABers put all their water in the mash and get very good efficiency. I think if you do that then raising the temperature of the mash to mashout temperature before removing the grains will help efficiency.

But efficiency isn't the be all and end all. It's most important to be able to predict your efficiency pretty accurately, so you can hit your numbers. You can add a bit more grain, which won't cost much, if you are not hitting your OG. Adjust your efficiency setting on your software and use a consistent method that works for you. The amount of water you use should be similar every time, it should only vary according to how much grain you mash with and how much beer you are making. If you use tons of hops you will lose some to the hops, too, of course. But if you make the same batch size every time there should be little if any difference in the amount of water required. If you end up 3 litres short, use an extra 3 litres next time.

Yes you have pretty much hit the nail on the head.. in an ideal world I will hit an efficiency target and know roughly whereabouts I am going to be.. If I can do that in a large pot with all the water and save time without having to remove sparge and top up then great.

I even wouldn't care if I say got 65% efficieny every brew if the setup worked for me and I knew what I was going to roughly get.. I could just chuck an extra 200g pale malt in.

I bought that same colander /sieve from Lidl a few weeks ago and it's great. Only difference was I paid around £5 for it, not £17 :-)

Latest posts

Back