Fupped up brew - what to do?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucus_j

Reaction score
Hi all!

Long story short; I mashed at too high a temperature and my Bells 2 Hearted has finished at 1.020 instead of 1.014 (so sweeter and about 1.5% lower ABV)

Hey ho, nothing I can do about that now. My question for you lovely lot is: would you a) use 100g of lovely centennial as the dry hop (as included in the recipe or b) save the centennial and use up 100g of leftover hops (citra & Simcoe)?

Many thanks people!

Has it definitely finished? Even with a high mash that's quite a high FG. As for the hops, both options sound nice. I'd be inclined to follow the original plan with the centennial unless you want to use it for something else. Or you could always add all three - super hop! 😉

What yeast did you use?
You could try pitching a more attenuating yeast to dry the beer out a bit.
If your recipe calls for 100g of dry hops, then add the Centennial as planned. you're going to get some hop creep with that little lot, which may well bring your FG down to more reasonable levels.

Has it definitely finished? Even with a high mash that's quite a high FG. As for the hops, both options sound nice. I'd be inclined to follow the original plan with the centennial unless you want to use it for something else. Or you could always add all three - super hop! 😉
Well....... definitely probably finished! 😀 I could probably bear to leave it another week without having a breakdown. I might do that and see how I feel about what to dry hop with next weekend.

Thanks for the input!

What yeast did you use?
You could try pitching a more attenuating yeast to dry the beer out a bit.
If your recipe calls for 100g of dry hops, then add the Centennial as planned. you're going to get some hop creep with that little lot, which may well bring your FG down to more reasonable levels.
Yeast was Bry 97 which is usually pretty reliable, right? I've got a 6g pack of "ale" yeast from a random kit which could possibly use but sort of like the idea of a big old dry hop induced hop-creep to bring down the fg a few points in a week's time (just to be absolutely sure its finished fermentating).

Cheers for the input!

Latest posts

Back