FV airlock still bubbling after 4 weeks!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfj197

Reaction score
A quick one for you folks. I started a brew four weeks ago and I'm a bit concerned because the airlock is still bubbling every now and then. I've never had one go on nearly as long as this. It's a Woodfordes Admirals Reserve kit, OG 1055. The initial fermentation was very vigorous as it was during a hot spell (thermometer on the FV got up to 25) - not ideal, but at least the yeast has had plenty of time to clean up after itself! I haven't checked the current gravity as I usually prefer to keep it sealed but I think I'll need to crack it open to have a check.

Anybody experienced anything like this?

Michael

A quick one for you folks. I started a brew four weeks ago and I'm a bit concerned because the airlock is still bubbling every now and then. I've never had one go on nearly as long as this. It's a Woodfordes Admirals Reserve kit, OG 1055. The initial fermentation was very vigorous as it was during a hot spell (thermometer on the FV got up to 25) - not ideal, but at least the yeast has had plenty of time to clean up after itself! I haven't checked the current gravity as I usually prefer to keep it sealed but I think I'll need to crack it open to have a check.

Anybody experienced anything like this?

Michael

After 4 wks, I doubt there is much left to ferment, but like you say, the 4 wks will have helped the yeast to convert by-products from an initally high fermentation temperature into ethanol.

You could check that the FG is 1015 or below before bottling, but it is likely to be anyway, so I'd just bottle and stick any leftover beer in the hydrometer tube to confirm, if there is any to test with. :thumb:

After 4 wks, I doubt there is much left to ferment, but like you say, the 4 wks will have helped the yeast to convert by-products from an initally high fermentation temperature into ethanol.

You could check that the FG is 1015 or below before bottling, but it is likely to be anyway, so I'd just bottle and stick any leftover beer in the hydrometer tube to confirm, if there is any to test with. :thumb:

Thanks Slid. I went ahead and bottled it yesterday evening. The FG was measured at about 1005 (from an SG of 1055) so it'll be a potent brew. Now the waiting period ...

Michael

We'll done Slid for making an effort to answer a decent question.
This forum is dying :roll:

Yes, I think there are a fair number of people around who are a bit reticent about posting responses to fairly generic questions around the brewing process. Like my driving instructor used to say, "all learners once".

I had one that was bubbling after 3 weeks. I bottled anyway as the gravity was 1.002 some how. It was really nice anyway, all be it a little low bodied.

Latest posts

Back