FV change

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all, is there a set time on changing their FV's? i bought 2 new FV a month ago and then found in the back of my garage a couple of FV's, bit grubby and dirty but no nicks, cuts, or other damage just dirty, anyone still using FV's 5+ years?

I believe @Cwrw666 is still using his FV's after 10 years. I use a FV as a no chill cube and have just retired the last one after 5 years but only because the tap had began to fail

i still use buckets i used 30+ years ago, None for fermenting tho, they are now general storage bins, garden waste bins and one wide mouth squat one is reserved for sick catching when illness strikes.

ive moved to smaller neck/top opening FV's such as no-chill hdpe jerrycans and 4" neck wine fv jobbies these days partly due to the space available in my smaller than usual brewfridge AND it stops me from dumping clean and dry equipment inside for storage as its this and the inevitable rummage through looking for bits that can cause damage to the inner skin surface..

when it comes to deciding to retire a FV i always weigh up the £value of the next brew against the £5+ cost of a new FV and generally i opt for a new FV. If you want permenancy i would look at Stainless steel, either a bergland stockpot or even a thermopot, Or if you have deep pockets there is also the SS tech brewbucket and if your pockets are even deeper there is the conical option too.

Fwiw for large batches i use a 80l SS thermopot with a HEX coil fitted thru the lid for temp control.. (it wont fit in the fridge..) and have no plans to retire that for a LONG time ;)

Latest posts

Back