German pint bottles safe for Belgian beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pfeffer

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

As I'm an avid Weißbier drinker I have a steady supply of German pear shaped pint bottles. As I'm currently brewing up some triple (and later some Belgian strong ales), I was wondering if these bottles would be able to handle the pressure of carbonated Belgian beers.

I guess the smooth neck is sub optimal because of the yeast sediment and because you're unlikely to poor it in one go, but I usually don't mind some yeast (I'm actually one of the crazy guys that swirls his Weißbier to get every last bit of that yeasty goodness out).

As I have 40+ cleaned bottles it would come in pretty handy if I could use those.

I think you'll be fine, mate. Just don't over-carbonate!
The only real issue I can see you encountering is the pint of Belgian beer you'll need to drink at one time (though I'm sure you'll manage.)

Wheat beers usually have between 3 and 4.5 volumes of CO2, whereas Belgian beers are in the 2-2.5ish range so your German wheat bottles will be more than adequate. As you said, there's no neck to trap the sediment but I've used several bottles like this with no issue.

In that case I'll bottle pints instead of those stubis like Duvel. I'm sure I'll manage, haha. Thanks for the swift reply.

Latest posts

Back