Ginger cider started!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
simonkidder said:
Well marrsy I've not managed sorted a photo out yet but to be honest I think it's going ok. The sediment has as good as dissappeared just alittle round the edges. I havnt seen it bubbling or anything but in going to put alittle time into it tomorrow

Sounds like its going fine mate, check the surface of the brew for little bubbles. If you see some then put a little pressure on the bung holding the airlock to makesure the gas isnt escaping from anywhere else and see if that gets you any airlock action.

Well marrsy. The yeast is officially dead I've tried priming a bottle but nothing happened. It tastes like ****. Think the best idea is to pour in down the toilet or find a tramp who will appreciate the effects of it cos it's quite strong.

It's currently a ginger/orange flat wine/cider with a funny aftertaste. Is there anyway at all to make it drinkable you can think of???

I also tried making a ginger beer (similar to your recipe) with too much sugar.. well it had a SG of 1.060 and FG of 0.992 so at around 9% I guess it transferred into a cider. It smelt like **** but I bottled it anyway and tried a bottle today after 3 weeks of conditioning... and yep tasted like absolute **** :drunk: , proud to say the worst tasting batch of brew I have made. However I know it's not due to infection so I think if I mix it with lemonade like someone suggested it will be more than drinkable.

I've just had the first taste of my ginger cider, quite pleased with it.
Whatever your standard turbocider recipe is, but (for 1 gallon): finely slice 160g of root ginger and put it in a pan with about 3/4 litre of the juice, bring it slowly to simmering point then strain it into the rest of the juice.
The ginger strength is about right for 1 demijohn. Could go up a bit, maybe, but not less, I think. Will probably try 175g next time.

Latest posts

Back