Ginger Wine Recipe Required

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattN

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I have recently tried to make some ginger wine without success. I used WGJ and a ginger juice drink and Ginger tea bags. The result was underwhelming.

I have found a few recipes on-line, however I haven't found one that gives a verdict after tasting it.

Has anyone used Riddles concentrate?

After searching on this forum for a recipe gave me a really good giggle. I don't normally laugh at other peoples misfortune but in-case you missed it first time around here it is.

Tried and tested recipes welcomed.

Cheers

Matt

Crastney said:
here's an update: last night I was rooting around in the freezer trying to find something to eat for dinner when I happened across a plastic take away container with the words "Ginger Juice, 350g, 2013"
'oh dear' I thought - if this is ginger juice in this container, then what was in the container that I defrosted and put in my FV with the rhubarb and sultanas?

the only thing we normally have in the freezer is leftovers, curry, rice, chilli, etc. and occasionally chicken stock.
the only one of these that could be mistaken for ginger juice (by site alone) is the chicken stock....
(I don't recall smelling it to see if it was or wasn't ginger)

I think I may have created cock wine?!

It did ferment rather quickly, and I don't think there's much fermentable sugars in (home made) chicken stock.

What has fermented is still in the DJ before first racking, is there any reason why I couldn't defrost the ginger, siphon off enough wine, and add the ginger to what I've already got?

(of course I could just have forgotten what it was, and it's something else that isn't chicken stock, but I can't think of anything else that would be in our freezer - or I made two tubs of juice, but only put one in...)

Thanks MattN - this has recently been bottled, and didn't taste all that bad. If it was chicken stock then it didn't leave any taste of chicken in the drink - it's more likely that I made two tubs of ginger juice, and just forgot to label the second one.

If I make it to The Spring Thing 2014, I'll make sure I bring a bottle along.

Latest posts

Back