Gluten free hoppy brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Luke

Reaction score
I’m planning on making an all grain batch of hoppy beer(an ipa of some sort) and adding Brewers Clarex to reduce the gluten so my friend can drink it. Any advice on this? What sort of brew/hops would be best suited? Any advice on how to best use Clarex.

Hey Jon,
We use Clarex in most of our beers here as Jo is gluten intolerant. 0.5ml in a 23 litre batch of a West Coast style works for us, add at about the same time as you pitch the yeast. If you are making something wheat heavy then I would up it slightly. https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/nbs-clarity-15ml/?v=79cba1185463

The dosage rate is different for the Whitelabs product, use one vial per batch.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/clarity-ferm-enzyme-per10ml-vial/?v=79cba1185463

Thanks guys. Really useful. Order coming soon👍 The vial will be really helpful as it’s probably a one off.

Greg Huot is there any need to dump the trub anymore often?

Last edited:
Watch the video from get er brewed with chap from Murphy and sons re the gluten.

He said they tested lots of pro beers and found them all below threshold of gluten. Apparently vigorously boiling and kettle finings does this.
I've always done this with my brews( except hazies no whirlfloc) but do add commercial clarity ferm as well. It's cheap, helps chill haze and doesn't seem to impact flavour.

Watch the video from get er brewed with chap from Murphy and sons re the gluten.

He said they tested lots of pro beers and found them all below threshold of gluten. Apparently vigorously boiling and kettle finings does this.
I've always done this with my brews( except hazies no whirlfloc) but do add commercial clarity ferm as well. It's cheap, helps chill haze and doesn't seem to impact flavour.

Thanks for this. Really useful. Clarified quite a few things. I’ll be trying a white labs vile I think. Really interesting, thanks.

Latest posts

Back