Go-to Yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Verdant will do it all. Good yeast.

I like M44/Bry-97. I suspect they are the same thing tbh. Very clean though, kind of between lager and ale in terms of results. Even more so than Notty.

I feel like I'm getting the best results, dry yeast wise, with Lallemand yeasts. By and large. But also some of the MJ yeasts, which are likely repackaged Lallemand.

I have checked the yeast stocks in my fridge and discovered that it is now time to reorder. The vast bulk of what I brew are either APA's or English ales/bitters. Normally I would stick to US-05 and either S-04, Notty and Liberty Bell for the English ales. I intend to order in bulk, either multiple sachets, or bulk packs, I could even consider culturing yeast, at a push.

So, what would people reccomend as a one off, do everything APA yeast and a one off, do everything English ale yeast? I know us homebrewers can have strong opinions on such matters, so I thought it would be interesting to gain a consensus view.

I’ve been considering the same question and brew similar beers. On paper Liberty bell would handle all your brews so could be a good house yeast.

My reluctance to use liquid yeast isn't purely the additional cost, but the flexibility of being able to wake up and decide, I'd like to brew today and just grab everything out of the cupboard and throw it in. I don't want to have to place an order a week before every brew.

One of the reasons for trying to standardise to two 'house yeasts' (with a few random sachets in reserve for emergencies) is to economise by buying in bulk. So far I have found some MJ yeasts, including Liberty Bell in 250g packs for £28 and 100g packs of generic English and US style yeasts from Bigger Jugs for £10, Fermentis only sell in 11.5 or 500g for £60. When I brew a stronger ale (actually quite regularly) I know that I should be using more than 11g of yeast, but am reluctant to chuck two sachets in, but with bulk packs you can weigh out the exact amount without fear of the cost.

I have looked at a couple of Yeast Strain Comparison charts online, which do suggest that US=05, BRY-97 and MJ M44 all are derived from the same Chico strain and also that London III was originally derived from Boddingtons.

Harvest your yeast and as well as saving a tonne of cash, you’ll have a plentiful supply of different yeasts to use at the drop of a hat. Just make sure you have a spare fridge or in my case, a wife that is (mostly) supportive of my home brewing.
1607DD5C-8E00-43DB-A59C-92A17A9092FB.jpeg

Most advice when I started pointed to S04 and US05. I bought a pack of each and never used the US05, it still sits in my fridge after 3 years. I don't see a reason to use it yet. Safale yeasts, while they may be predictable, are somewhat uninteresting. S04 which I have brewed with four or five times gives a slight hint of English ale behind a veil of wet cardboard. It's bland and grainy.

I have enjoyed some success with Nottingham. It's totally reliable and predictable and sticks to the bottom of bottles like super-glue, but it doesn't half mute the hop flavour. It can be like drinking beer through a filter. Better than S04 but still a fairly bland yeast. Ok for Scottish ales where little contribution comes from the hops.

Moving on up... MJ M36 Liberty Bell is a much better yeast that plays well and allows the hops to shine. It flocculated less than S04 or Nottingham, but tastes so much better for either sweet or dry fruity beers. I've used it in an ESB, a golden ale and a stout with success. Trouble with this beer that I've found recently is it tends to keep going gradually beyond the final gravity. Something about it keeps making my bottled beers too fizzy. It's fine for keg or PB, but it in bottled beers the run away attenuation shows. I'll still use it for my next golden ale (unless the London Ale III works out).

That's my dried selection for English beers done.

CML Kölsch is a useful one to keep in stock. I've used this in Kölsch and APA styles. It works well in a APA with a good malty grain bill.

WY3068 (weihenstephan strain) is the absolute bees-knees for German wheat beers. Under pitch for a big banana hit!

I'm currently trialling West Yorkshire and London Ale III liquid yeasts. Inconclusive on the West Yorkshire so far, last beer suffered metallic taste from the keg, but hoping next batch will be better.

I have harvested all of these, stored and re-used: Nottingham, S04, M36 Liberty Bell, Lallemand Voss, CML Kölsch, CML Belgian, M84 Bohemian Lager, Lallemand Belle Saison, St Austell Proper Job. Don't let anyone tell you dried yeasts can't be re-used, it makes them cheap as chips, but you have to look after them well and ensure you pitch them with nutrients.

which yeast floculates the most?

The 34/70 is the best floccer that I’ve used which is unsurprising really. It makes super bright beers with amazing clarity. In terms of ale yeasts, the MJ M44 flocculates really well, even without cold crashing. I use White Labs 565 a lot for my saison and that flocculates really well too. Most yeasts that I’ve used will drop the yeast if I give them enough time, especially with a cold crash. The one that I use that doesn’t play ball is the Wyeast 1450 but it’s a great yeast so I use it mainly for stouts.

Fermentis. It’s the dry version of Weihenstephaner lager strain. I’ve made pale ales, IPAs and even a stout with it. It’s very versatile and will ferment clean at a wide range of temperatures.

I use mainly the CML best range, Pia, for hoppy beers Kentucky for light/golden ales and Midland for ales or Gervin from Wilko's.
I too know that Liquid yeast has a better choice range but its too much faff for me

In my experience Lallemand, MJ and Fermentis yeasts have generally produced better beer than CML. I tend to pick up a flavour from CML yeasts. I know other people have different experiences. We are all made different. I love dealing with CML, good customer service and I get hops from them.

In my experience Lallemand, MJ and Fermentis yeasts have generally produced better beer than CML. I tend to pick up a flavour from CML yeasts. I know other people have different experiences. We are all made different. I love dealing with CML, good customer service and I get hops from them.
Agreed. CML Great service, variable quality yeasts. I think the Kölsch is good, however their California Common has been hit or miss. Kristallweizen had too little character, maybe I was using it incorrectly.

I only use specific CML yeasts the standard range is ok but the real ale does not floc good enough for me the Kristallweizen I just did not like and I have used the Kolsch which I found good but I rarely make a Kolsch nowadays so use the Kentucky for my Lighter/golden ales types.
I use the Pia for all my hoppy beers now as it suits my taste without overpowering the hops.
and the Midland or Gervin for Ales/Bitters.
Ps I have never had any off tastes while using these in the better range but as has been said some people are more susceptible to variances in yeasts and hops
As a side note I did use the Beoir yeast which I liked but did not floc well enough for me

which yeast floculates the most?
It also depends on which way you want it - up or down! Some yeasts are highly flocculant, and settle out quickly. Others are highly flocculant, and rise to the top. Flocculant really means sticking together. My favourite yeast used to be Brewlab East Midlands 1. A huge top-cropper, that produced brilliant beer (in both senses). I think the best way to home brew with this sort of yeast is to fit a tap to your primary FV, and "drop" the beer leaving the yeast head still floating, Don't try to siphon it.

Thanks Hoppyland. It’s a top cropper I’m interested in, as although I ferment in a cylindriconical, experience shows I loose far less beer skimming most of the yeast from the top than from the bottom.

As far as CML go, from their 'beer' series, their Belgian and Kolsch are both great, not keen on their Ale strain (funny taste), thought the Cali Common was OK but not as good as the Kolsch. From their BEIRM range, the BEòIR is quite good but does leave a bit of a haze for a while and takes quite a long time to clear (this doesn't bother me), their Hog Norsk produced a perfectly acceptable beer at slightly higher temps without any off flavours, their Pia is good for hoppy ales, I'm presently brewing with their Kentucky and have the Wallonia in the pipeline. I wish they would do a Windsor type dried yeast.

I am glad I am not the only one (well I think a few others here have ).. there is definatley something about some of their yeasts which makes me question the quality. Like jjsh says I have not tried their kolsh but have tried their ale strains and cali common and thought they left a funny flavour in there..

Just to clarify, I only got a funny flavour with their Ale yeast, and their now discontinued US Pale yeast. The Cali common was fine, just not as excellent as their Kolsch yeast ( I would be using the Cali and Kolsch in similar types of brew, you see).

I am glad I am not the only one (well I think a few others here have ).. there is definatley something about some of their yeasts which makes me question the quality. Like jjsh says I have not tried their kolsh but have tried their ale strains and cali common and thought they left a funny flavour in there..
Yep, me too.

I really like the way CML roll and I'm happy to support their business by getting my hops from them but their yeasts (and I tried quite a few of them) just yielded too many "meh" beers or variable or mixed results.

If they work for you, great, but they're not for me.

My current go-tos are BRY-97 for clean and MJ M36 for English (but I want to see how Lallemand Verdant IPA does in this area). For lagers it's W-34/70 or Lallemand Diamond Lager.

Just to clarify, I only got a funny flavour with their Ale yeast, and their now discontinued US Pale yeast. The Cali common was fine, just not as excellent as their Kolsch yeast ( I would be using the Cali and Kolsch in similar types of brew, you see).
Yeah their cali was okay if I remember it was the US pale which you say was discontinued.. maybe will try the kolsh.

I just checked their shop out and they have an excellent choice of hops

Latest posts

Back