Golden ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi good people i have a day free tomorrow so i would welcome any thoughts on this
English golden ale
Specialty Beer

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.500
Total Hops (g): 82.17
Original Gravity (OG): 1.054 (°P): 13.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.31 %
Colour (SRM): 5.4 (EBC): 10.6
Bitterness (IBU): 38.5 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 65
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (54.55%)
2.500 kg Vienna (45.45%)

Hop Bill
----------------
36.5 g Challenger Pellet (6.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
27.4 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
18.3 g Challenger Pellet (6.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Danstar Nottingham

What sort of outcome are you looking for Rod?
Some thoughts:
Nottingham is known to suppress hop flavour, so adding late challenger could be a good move. I find the cedar/green tea tartness of challenger punches through even in smaller quantities. However, it may dominate the EKG and push EKG more to the background initially. What about switching the two so that EKG is the last addition?
Having said that, I did a similar brew last year with equal First Gold and Challenger at 10 mins and more Challenger at 5 mins and the first gold was the dominant flavour, though I find first gold more prominent than EKG.

Malt bill is simple with enough Vienna to give the right colour. Good choice.

Hi Rod I prefer lower ABV and lower IBU's but thats just a preference. I now do a lot of my beers with lots of Vienna, Munich and pale ale usually in a third of each or Vienna and pale in 50/50 even in my bitter styles as I prefer a malty backbone. I also as Cushyno says use First Gold which can give a slight but nice orangey twang to the beers. Apart from the ABV and IBU's it sounds good to me but obviously you are brewing for your taste and not mine.
Ps you can not go wrong with most of the British hops in that style and bittersathumb..

Cheers guys, i have run out of first gold or they would be in there i normally use target for bittering but i have none left, i also like a malty backbone, thanks for the feedback, i think i will go with it after all it will be beer athumb..

I am drinking what I call my Triple Grain at the moment which is equal parts of Vienna, Munich and Irish Ale malt with a little Crystal and dash of chocolate malt with EKG and Styrian gold hops to 3.7%. I really do not know what style to categorise this but it is like a malty Bitter with a German Maerzan/Oktoberfest taste. Whatever it is I like it

Sounds like my type of beer. I'll nick that for later in the year!

I've seen this in a few recipes recently but don't know what it is, really. Is it just pale ale malt grown and malted in Ireland?
Yes I get mine from The Homebrew Company in Ireland
Minch Malt has been producing the highest quality malt from some of the country's best barley since 1847. ... Minch is Ireland's oldest and largest malt producer for the brewing and distilling industry. Minch malt produce malt from 100% Irish origin 2-row spring barley at our Athy Maltings, Co.
I and many brewers on this forum have used it for years it is just a standard pale ale malt

Back