Grainfathef G30 price

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evoflash

Reaction score
Hello everyone, been lurking for a while and have almost decided to grab a G30. It’s currently £549 at brew2bottle. Can I ask those with more experience if this is reasonably good? Prices seems lower than anywhere else but I don’t have a feel for seasonal prices.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Patrick

I'm amazed there aren't loads of these on the used market given the number of people who have jumped over to the new models. But that seems a pretty good price. On the used market these were still £750+ a couple of years ago when they came up.

Hey everyone thanks for the kind responses and welcomes. I’ve ordered the G30 plus the neoprene cover. Very excited!!!

I’ve done 28 brews. First 4 were malt extract with a buddy. Giddy times - the realisation that I could make drinkable (ish) beer is a thrill that has never left me. I then moved to grain brewing. Bought a Burco boiler and rewired it to bypass simmer mode. Bought a nice Coleman round coolbox for mashing, and a lovely corny keg. Had two long periods of no brewing but started back up again for brew 27 and 28. I’ve always been rather Heath Robinson and got a massive kick out of making nice beer from cobbled gear. Now though I’m in my mid forties and I’d like to try and see how the other half live. Really looking forward to getting a good brew in the go.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum, have you considered the klarstein? (sorry)
I did yes very much so - in fact I just missed the recent offer and that was what brought me to this forum.

Currently the 30L Mundschenker is ~£310 with discount. Factor in the cost of the counter flow wort chiller (~£100-£150?) and the cost difference starts to narrow somewhat. I managed to get a further 5% off the kit via email voucher (very kind of brew2bottle). That swung it for me.

Patrick

What do you brew on at the moment?
And what do you want from the new machine?

I have started off a few on this hobby and they had very different ideas & reasons.

Patrick

I have started off a few on this hobby and they had very different ideas & reasons.
This is a good point. My experience has led me to the conclusion that if I were doing it all over again I’d focus on the fermentation side of things. Afterall us brewers don’t make beer, yeast does and we’re but a slave to the little we beasties. If you have an effective mash and boil set up already I’d invest in a decent fermentation vessel and full temp control assuming you’ve not already done this.

I've used a G30 for a couple of years now and at that price I would not hesitate to grab it. If you go to grainfather website they have done a price realignment and the v2 and v3 are now £749. I suspect b2b have a few v2's in stock that they want to clear as they don't want to be left with them now th v3's are out.

Patrick

Good questions!

I brew simple grain beers, manual process best bitters. I've gotten tired of the risks I think. The PITA of draining the bag of grain post-mash. My inefficient sparging with no care for water volumes. The moving of fluid from mash tun to boiler. The panic of wort stirring/cooling in a saucepan sat in a cold bath. The varying SG of the cooled mix....it's been fun honestly and I've made pretty much mostly very nice beers but I'm getting to the point now where I'd like to reduce the effort needed, remove/reduce the risks where possible while at the same time improving efficiency and consistency. I've enjoyed the adventure and the huge variations (some rocket fuels and some squashes) but these days I just want to make really good beers and I see through the Grainfather app and recipe some great accessible capability to really experiment that I otherwise couldn't really consider.

This is a good point. My experience has led me to the conclusion that if I were doing it all over again I’d focus on the fermentation side of things. Afterall us brewers don’t make beer, yeast does and we’re but a slave to the little we beasties. If you have an effective mash and boil set up already I’d invest in a decent fermentation vessel and full temp control assuming you’ve not already done this.
Yes definitely the cold side will be next in my sites. Presently my fermentation is two stage - first in plastic 30L fermenter for a week or so then I move to clearing...in beautiful....19L Plastic water bottles. Saw some empties at work a few years back and was very taken with idea of fermenting in them. Made a cleaning arm too for them....so yes more Heath Robinson which I'll get round to investigating.

Latest posts

Back