Grainfather Conical Fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoffinthewilds

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I really like the look of the Grainfather Conical Fermenter but the price is a bit eye watering, its the temp control that appeals , and the pressure transfer, I could go with one of the cheaper Stainless models and build a Fermentation Fridge but can you pressure transfer with the cheaper models?

Keen to hear from anyone who has taken the plunge and owns the Grainfather, but would defo have to hide that invoice from the bride if I bought one :laugh8:

Aye, I have one! And the "pressure transfer" kit, though "pressure" is a bit of a misnomer as you are limited to 1PSI (much higher and the seals will crack open - even 1PSI puts a fair amount of force on a lid that size). It's more an insurance policy so I can get the beer out easy if the "racking valve" bungs up (or just comes off, something that does worry me as the extractor is only plugged on and held by an O-ring). A "Fermentazilla" truly has "pressure transfer".

But the fermenter is pretty neat, and the temperature management pretty good. I haven't got their hyper-expensive glycol chiller, but it is fairly easy to figure out its workings and mine controls a cheap (-er) shelf cooler (you can even have it control a pump in a bucket of cold water).

I wouldn't say it was that expensive, but my memory goes back to earlier times ("earlier" actually only means five years ago) when I bought my 70L conical. They were expensive. There wasn't much of a choice of home-brew conicals back then. It's actually a scaled down commercial design with no temperature control (I built my own). Beefy construction (heavy!); but 800 quid! Sort of puts "eye wateringly expensive" into context. (70L is too big to ferment a 20-25L batch BTW).

Thanks peebee, good to hear from an owner, thought the pressure transfer would work out well so not sure to go with a cheaper model and build a fermentation fridge and yes that glycol chiller is pricey

Latest posts

Back