Gravity Points

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manners

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive been doing some research and have concluded (managed to convince myself perhaps?) of the following:

-500g of DME will add approx 9 gravity points per 5 gallons and that Sugar is around the same?

Assuming this is correct, I understand the sugar is c.100% fermentable. However I understand the DME isn’t and may be around 80% fermentable (yeast dependent). Do I need to reduce the 9 GP for DME by this ratio, or is that a ‘true’ value?

(Oh and I cant check with gravity readings as this was a secondary addition after initial fermentation, so just want to double check my sums. May have created a bit of a monster brew...!) 🤪🍻

Yes - I believe you are correct Manners

Malt & extract will contain complex sugars that will not ferment and hence add "body" and flavour. Refined sugar is all simple sugar molecules so will all ferment but not add body

Yes - I believe you are correct Manners

Malt & extract will contain complex sugars that will not ferment and hence add "body" and flavour. Refined sugar is all simple sugar molecules so will all ferment but not add body
Thanks Obadiah

Back