Green tea beer, am i crazy?!?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattpullin

Reaction score
Has anyone on this site ever brewed a beer with tea in it? specifically green tea?

Iv got this from my brother-in-law who has family in Hong Kong there is no way im ever going to drink all this, can i brew with it?

I was thinking i could putting some of it in with the flame out hops. was a bit unsure about how much though.

Any thoughts?

Green tea is a very delicate flavour, I doubt that it would be detectable in most beers tbh. There are a few cooking recipes that use it though, I have had chocolate and green tea cookies before that were very nice.

iv just cracked it open and made some, its not green tea but some kind of Chinese tea its tastes a bit earthy. Still delicate though i doubt you could taste it through malt and hops. I might just chuck it in anyway see what happens :-)

I suppose the ease with which one can experiment is part of the delight of this hobby. I personally cannot see any advantage flavour-wise to putting tea in beer. :hmm: Would be interested to know how this turns out nonetheless.

Tea = tannin, tannin is what you try to avoid when mashing (gram the grain husks). Why would you want to introduce it in you beer?

Just a thought but I wouldn't. Just because you have doesn't mean you need to use it and potentially ruin your beer.

graysalchemy said:
Tea = tannin, tannin is what you try to avoid when mashing (gram the grain husks). Why would you want to introduce it in you beer?

That is a good point, what effect does the addition of to much tannin do to a brew? i would imagine it would make it bitter. But is that not why we add hops to the sweet wort?

They are whole dried leaves this is what they look like after a quick soak. how could i make wine out of these then? just a standard WOW recipe? i would imagine the tannin issue would still remain.

Last night I had a beer in wagamammas I think it was called Ike Ike that used green tea in it. Looked a bit like a wheat beer and tasted very clean and citrusy. It reminded me of this thread, if I could brew something half as good as that beer I would be a very happy man!

Latest posts

Back