Greetings from Ukraine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnic

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers!

Actually I'm quite a brewer yet, but I'll begin the journey to good homebrew this week.

Well, I'm a US expat living in Ukraine for the time being and decided to start a hobby to maintain what little sanity I have left. Why I choose home brewing is beyond me.

I have been watching countless Tube vids and reading articles and discussions on this passion for a couple of weeks now. I have John Palmer's "How to brew..." page saved.

Because they simply don't brew beer at home here, its cheaper than coffee so why bother, seems to be the general attitude, that and "you wanna whut?" accompanied by blank stares of disbelief that I want to brew beer rather than vodka or wine, both common home brew items here. Where was I? Oh yes, because of the above stated attitudes, the ingredients are rather challenging to find, to say the least. My wife spoke with a grain seller in the bazaar who directed us to a babushka (granny) who MIGHT have the grains, hops AND brewer's yeast. A quick stop by babushka's stall confirmed she does indeed have all 3, but the bazaar won't be open again until tomorrow.

So, I hope to begin learning how to malt some barley this week before launching into the full monty. With a wee bit of luck I should have something (God only knows what the first few batches will produce) fermenting in the closet in a couple of weeks.

I look forward to learning all I can in the coming days, weeks, months (and if I don't give up in disgust) years.
Tim
:drink:

Welcome Tim.
Sounds like youve set yourself a challenge !
We have a member on here ( ex pat also,) who lives out in Turkey. He malts his own barley on the the roof.

Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Back