Group Brew - aka Hedgehog Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
I called this Hedgehog Bitter because while waiting for the hot break, I tended to a very young hedgehog that appeared to be on its last legs while slowly stumbling across my garden. it wolfed down the cat food I gave it, and when the chiller was doing its thing it appeared to have mustered enouh strength to be released back into the wild that is my garden.

the brew went well wih the exception of the cold break makin its way into the fermenter. hopefully this wil get racked off.

I shant be revealling the recipe to this one until you've all tried it ;)

BrewStew said:
I called this Hedgehog Bitter because while waiting for the hot break, I tended to a very young hedgehog that appeared to be on its last legs while slowly stumbling across my garden. it wolfed down the cat food I gave it, and when the chiller was doing its thing it appeared to have mustered enouh strength to be released back into the wild that is my garden.

the brew went well wih the exception of the cold break makin its way into the fermenter. hopefully this wil get racked off.

I shant be revealling the recipe to this one until you've all tried it ;)

Oh very secretive, i hope he didn't stick the hedgehog into the boil :roll:

A bank holiday brew :grin:

Hope it turns out a gooden :thumb:

I think the humanitarian story was just to deflect from the fact that we aren't getting to see the recipe. I am worried that it is either the hedgehog or the cat food that went in :pray:

Wez said:
I bet it'll turn out Purrrrrrfect :D

I'll get my coat

I'll get the door :D

Now that i'm at work and can actually type properly instead of using my phone, i can say that no hedgehogs were harmed during the making of this brew ;) and i decided to leave the catfood out of it too :lol:

when i tasted the wort it tasted a little grassy, hopefully this will subside.

Oh, forgot to add!

This was my pilot brew for mash tinkering!!!

As my water is so hard here, any chance of making a half decent pale would be near impossible without treatment. and as this was going to be a pale ale i decided to grab some extra bits from the HBS, some CRS and DLS.

I added 5g of DLS to the grist then i measured the mash PH at about 6.2 when dohed in, 10ml of CRS later and i hit 5.2 on the nose :D

i'm itching to see how this affects the brews flavour, but it definitely affected my effeciency, i managed 84.9% according to beersmith :shock: and because of that, i overshot the upper gravity guideline for the group brew :oops:

Back