Has My English Port finished?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysbrew

Regular.
Reaction score
Racked my English Port last weekend after a bit of sediment had accumulated and the airlock had stopped bubbling. I topped up with just under 1/2 pint syrup and it re started slowly and now has totally stopped, not bubbling atall.

Not tested it with hydrometer as didn't get the OG. Quite new to this hobby!.

Tastes ok and smells like wine!

Thanks

Andy,
Take an SG reading now, it should be down around 1000, if it has fully fermented out then it could be as low as 990 (Dry) you can leave it in the DJ fitted with an airlock for many weeks as long as you have topped it up to just below the neck of the DJ.

There is no hurry to do anything more with the wine, you can leave it in this condition for a long time while it completely clears - and it will clear to a brilliant finish.

Good luck with it. :thumb:

Thanks Leith

Sounds like it will mature nicely in the DJ then bottle afterwards.

How long should I leave it to mature?

1 year plus?

:hat:

LeithR said:
You can leave it in the DJ fitted with an airlock for many weeks as long as you have topped it up to just below the neck of the DJ.
Weeks? :wha:

You can leave them for months or years as long as you check the air locks from time to time and don't let them dry out.

I did actually try my English Port only a couple of days ago with a view towards bottling, but it can wait a bit longer, it has only had 30 months so far.

The second mash from the used fruit pulp has been bottled for a while now and should win this year's Spring Thing red wines class :roll:

@Moley,
Agreed, didn't want to shock the OP. I generally manage to get round to bottling within weeks rather than months, batch dependant. :D :D

Latest posts

Back