Have I made a cock up!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zutman

Reaction score
So I have brewed my first ever brew and its St. Peter's golden ale in my fridge at 20 degrees and all has gone well, then decided to fast chill it ! But I first racked it into another 23ltr wide neck fermenter ( don't know why I did that) I've now raised the temp back to 20 degrees, i have just realised I now have to rack it again into my bottling bucket to batch prime, so it's been in 3 buckets. Will the beer be ok with all this moving about or should I dump it,

Should I have chilled the beer in the first fermenter then racked, primed and bottled ?

There seems to be so many ways of doing thinks or is it what works for you

Any help would be much appreciated

It depends on how gently you transferred the wort. Too much splashing and you will have introduced oxygen, which isn't good. Plus good sanitisation is a must.

If you followed good practice then you'll be ok.

I chill the wort in primary, once fully fermented. Rack to bottling bucket and prime. Then bottle.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

So I have brewed my first ever brew and its St. Peter's golden ale in my fridge at 20 degrees and all has gone well, then decided to fast chill it ! But I first racked it into another 23ltr wide neck fermenter ( don't know why I did that) I've now raised the temp back to 20 degrees, i have just realised I now have to rack it again into my bottling bucket to batch prime, so it's been in 3 buckets. Will the beer be ok with all this moving about or should I dump it,

Should I have chilled the beer in the first fermenter then racked, primed and bottled ?

There seems to be so many ways of doing thinks or is it what works for you

Any help would be much appreciated
All that extra unnecessary work, all that extra unnecessary anxiety, that's why you shouldn't do it again. But it's done, the beer may well be fine or it will tell you if it isn't :sick:.

Rather than excessively disturb it again, you could bottle straight from the second container it is in now. And then prime each bottle (1/4 - 1/2 tsp sugar per pint/500ml). Bit old fashioned but it was the way we always used to do it.

As long as you rack it without splashing, that means your syphon tube was under beer for most of the transfer, all should be fine, I have transfer at least 30 brews to secondary before cold crashing and again to a bottling bucket on bottling day and all have turned well. Nowadays I just cold crash in primary due to just not seeing any benifits of secondary and then bottling bucket, your beer is probably fine!

Thanks for that well I've just bottled it its 20 degrees in my garage so have left them in there but then have no where cooler so will just leave them for a month then in the fridge they will go fingers crossed

if I was you and your garage is 20 degrees, I would leave them in there for two weeks and then two weeks in the fridge, that way you taste one every second or third day, from when you put them in, for scientific purposes off course, to see if they do develop or change, they will clear faster in the fridge too...enjoy, and remember, they are not going to last you as long as you think, so get a few more batches on the go, that way you can leave them for however long it takes them too mature to their perfect age without being beerless!
Welcome to the obsession!

Ha ha it's too late I've 4 lots of
Wine on the go and just started a Mexican lager and European lager, WTF oh and another brew fridge, mrs thinks I've got a mental issue

Latest posts

Back