Head retention

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanshelton

Landlord.
Reaction score
Im on my umpteen pint of my coopers best bitter, all bar one have very poor head retention. It was brewed as per instructions(1st homebrew) with normal sugar

What can I do on my next kit to improve head retention?

Is it in a king keg, or in bottles?

Head retention tends to improve with conditioning time from my (limited) experience.

Robbo100 said:
Is it in a king keg, or in bottles?

Head retention tends to improve with conditioning time from my (limited) experience.

Sorry forgot to mention, bottles. I had 1 last night that had a great head and lasted. Tonights fade away too quickly...

I was always disappointed with the head on my pints until I started to wash my beer glasses in water and not the dishwasher, it also depends of course on conditioning and how long they have been left to condition I usually leave the bottles in the warm(20oC) for 10 days after bottling and then in the coldest room for a week, ideally they need about four weeks in the bottle before touching depending on SG and FG.

Detergent residue in your beer glasses will kill any head your beer has, probably due a a reduction in surface tension.

Serious head seekers wash their glasses in very hot water and keep the washing up liquid away from the glass!

10 days?!! 4 weeks?!!! Ill manage with no head, I cant go without beer for that long lol better get another kit brewing, it might stand a chance then. As for the dishwasher, dont have one but take the point on washing up liquid :)

I read somewhere adding crystal malt helps? Any thoughts? Is it even possible with kits?

ryanshelton said:
I read somewhere adding crystal malt helps? Any thoughts? Is it even possible with kits?

Beer kit enhacher is supposed to help with head retention. Not sure how you add crystal malt to a kit.

As has been said, your best bet is washing your beer glasses with water not washing up liquid and giving the bottles plenty of time at the right temps to condition.

I also think that serving the beer at the correct temp according to style is important in order to get the best out of the finished product.

Very cold (0-4C/32-39F): Any beer you don’t actually want to taste. Pale Lager, Malt Liquor, Canadian-style Golden Ale and Cream Ale, Low Alcohol, Canadian, American or Scandinavian-style Cider.

Cold (4-7C/39-45F): Hefeweizen, Kristalweizen, Kölsch, Premium Lager, Pilsner, Classic German Pilsner, Fruit Beer, brewpub-style Golden Ale, European Strong Lager, Berliner Weisse, Belgian White, American Dark Lager, sweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Duvel-types

Cool (8-12C/45-54F): American Pale Ale, Amber Ale, California Common, Dunkelweizen, Sweet Stout, Stout, Dry Stout, Porter, English-style Golden Ale, unsweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Faro, Belgian Ale, Bohemian Pilsner, Dunkel, Dortmunder/Helles, Vienna, Schwarzbier, Smoked, Altbier, Tripel, Irish Ale, French or Spanish-style Cider

Cellar (12-14C/54-57F): Bitter, Premium Bitter, Brown Ale, India Pale Ale, English Pale Ale, English Strong Ale, Old Ale, Saison, Unblended Lambic, Flemish Sour Ale, Bière de Garde, Baltic Porter, Abbey Dubbel, Belgian Strong Ale, Weizen Bock, Bock, Foreign Stout, Zwickel/Keller/Landbier, Scottish Ale, Scotch Ale, American Strong Ale, Mild, English-style Cider

Warm (14-16C/57-61F): Barley Wine, Abt/Quadrupel, Imperial Stout, Imperial/Double IPA, Doppelbock, Eisbock, Mead

LeedsBrewer said:
Very cold (0-4C/32-39F): Any beer you don’t actually want to taste. Pale Lager, Malt Liquor, Canadian-style Golden Ale and Cream Ale, Low Alcohol, Canadian, American or Scandinavian-style Cider.

Why drink something you don't actually want to taste :wha: :wha:

J*hn Sm&ths anyone :lol: :lol:

Brew enhancer states on the packaging that it aids things such as head retention.
I think thats half spray malt and half brewing sugar (?)

graysalchemy said:
LeedsBrewer said:

A question for the millions who do. Same applies to supermarket white bread too.

rpt said:
graysalchemy said:
LeedsBrewer said:

A question for the millions who do. Same applies to supermarket white bread too.

Totally agree thats why when I can I bake my own :grin: :grin:

Just my two penneth - you definately need the full two weeks in the warm to carbonate, I have rushed mine with 11/12/13 days and the head retention on these bottles just wasnt as good.

Agree fully with the correct serving temps for helping with the head.

Mine have all been in the garage over winter (albeit with a blanket) and a little heater on to keep them above 5 degrees and the head on them all is still perfick :grin:

I have a great recipe for a granary bread using wheat malt or or torrified wheat, actually wheat malt is too good for breead and torrified is :sick: in beer so I think I will use the torrified I have accumulated and never used :thumb:

rpt said:
For AG brewing, are wheat malt and torrefied wheat both effective for head retention?
I use torrified wheat specifically for head retention in most of my AG brews and have had some mixed results. I don't use any chemical additives to aid head retention.

Wheat malt is better than Torrified. Torrifies can add a rather heavy cereal taste.

Shreddies anyone :sick:

Back