Heat Cupboard

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verb77

Reaction score
I’m interested in building a cupboard so I can regulate the heat for my brews. My initial plan is for a small wardrobe sort of thing, that I will be cut to size under my stairs all sealed in with some reflective foil to keep the heat in etc…

BUT

I’m stuck for how to regulate the heat. Does anyone have any advice on type of heater to use; I’m assuming I will need to have some sort of thermostat in there that would control the heater to keep it at the required temperature.

All advise welcome please

:wha:

The usual suggestion for a heater for a fermentation cabinet is a tube heater (lots of places sell them). This, and whatever cooling you want to use can be controlled by a controller something like this (http://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_p ... ucts_id=47) or this (http://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_p ... ucts_id=14).
Heating is IMO the easy bit of temperature control, I'm more concerned about cooling at the moment as I don't have space for a fridge in my current fermentation cupboard.

I would suggest that you will want to line the walls with something like celotex to get decent thermal insulation.

This should do for the temperature controller, but you'll need to combine it with a decent electrical box with terminal strip and some creative wiring to get it to work right.

Tim

Ideally you need the digital stat wired to a small pipe heater and also wired to a cellar chiller i know they are expensive but you could ferment at whatever temp you like and also put beer pipe through the chiller from a corny to a tap which would dispense cold beer :D

richc said:
The usual suggestion for a heater for a fermentation cabinet is a tube heater (lots of places sell them). This, and whatever cooling you want to use can be controlled by a controller something like this (http://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_p ... ucts_id=47) or this (http://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_p ... ucts_id=14).
Heating is IMO the easy bit of temperature control, I'm more concerned about cooling at the moment as I don't have space for a fridge in my current fermentation cupboard.

I've had a look at all three items that are available on this site, But I can't see what the real difference is between them. Am i just being soft?? Can someone please help

I have an atc 800 attached to a vivarium infra red lamp (100w). I have the ATC set at 21c but a 3 deg temp diff so once it reaches 21 it stays off until it reaches 18c. It works well for me. Insulation is important I have got 2" of rock wool insulation in the walls of the cupboard. I have another larger temp reg tent which I use to cure resined pictures at work. However it has insufficient insulation and so I can't get it above 14deg at the moment. I need to insulate it with celotex or similar.

The ATC 800 also allows you to attach some form of cooler as well, but I find I can keep the air temp between 18 and 21 so the beer should stay fairly constant in that.

:cheers:

Verb77 said:
I've had a look at all three items that are available on this site, But I can't see what the real difference is between them. Am i just being soft?? Can someone please help

The primary differences are the temperature ranges and sensitivities.
The AT-800+ is usable between 0-99C and has a sensitivity of 1 degree, I use one if these for fermentation and also to control my HLT.
The TC-10 has a -40 - 60 C range and a sensitivity of .1C, in addition it allows you to force a delay between switching off and switching on your heaters and coolers, this delay is good for things like fridges that don't like rapidly cycling on and off.

IMO the TC-10 is the better bit of kit if you plan to use it only as a fermentation temperature, the AT-800+ has the advantage of also being able to control your HLT which would be outside the temperature range of the TC-10.

I had an old room thermostat so just attached it to a tube heater. I built the cupboard with 2x2, insulated and covered with OSB I had.
My shed seldom goes over 24c even in the warmest of months, so not worried about cooling.

Now I've increased my brew lengths though, I'm thinking of converting one of shed cupboards, an old double kitchen cupboard. Line it with kingspan should be able to fit three 25ltr fv's in there. Might rig it up to my beer cooler to help US-05 to drop :hmm:

I did exactly the same as Sean, cheap and effective. ;) But my brews also outgrew the cupboard so built another one PID controlled, over the top I know, but I had it in stock, don't ask. :) One of those £12 controllers, use the search facility, ;) would do the same job and it is really nice to go into the brewery and see the temperature display, so you know everything is ok, without opening the door and switching on the thermometer, assuming you have left it in there. :D

Springer said:
IOne of those £12 controllers, use the search facility, ;) would do the same job and it is really nice to go into the brewery and see the temperature display, so you know everything is ok, without opening the door and switching on the thermometer, assuming you have left it in there. :D

This one?

I seem to be posting this link quite a bit at the moment...

That's the one Tim, was trying to get members to use the forum search facility. :D :lol:

Latest posts

Back