Heating Greenhouse in conjunction with Inkbird control

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wherrypuzzled

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi
Ive been avid reader of Forum for ages and I know of the existence of Inkbirds in Brew Fridges and greenhouse typr heaters but as yet I simply stop brewing in high summer lol (mainly because of diy capabilities)

Anyway I have a question re the above but to be used in a Greenhouse.

We have 5 plants that need to be protected from frost and each winter they take over the Conservatory , but we are having that taken down so we are buying a Greenhouse to house the Plants over winter November to May maybe. My idea was to have the heater come on at say 5c and go off at say 10c

Can someone tell me if they do something similar and the best way to do this. I can see the Dimplex tubes seem to get good reviews and some have a Thermostat built in. So maybe I dont need an Inkbird or similar thermostat.

In truth I am clueless and would gratefully welcome someones suggestions , experiences and recommendations

Many thanks wherrypuzzled

Having a small greenhouse and a 20ft poly tunnel I can comment on heating. I wouldn't heat the tunnel!
In the past we have used an oil filled heater and just switched it on during very cold weather. This will stop due to cost. Last winter we kept our couple of citrus trees in there,unheated. They were kept dry,unwatered,and here lies the key. They can do cold and dry but not frozen. Not sure if on occasion they had a fleece wrap.
I don't think an inkbird would help due to the size of the space and the temp swings you'll get. A paraffin heater may be better and cheaper...the sort with a wick you just light. We used one for years.
What plants are you looking after?
My greenhouse is approx 8x6.

The question is how big are the plants?

Could you pack then into say a small cold frame (inside you greenhouse)?

I only have a poly tunnel, so it gets cold. I do have an under soil heating cable for keeping seedling going in the spring. This I cover with a Poly Carbonate cold frame and some bubble wrap. It is controlled with a thermostat (into the soil).

You will be fine with the inkbirds. It retains a set temperature +/- and I use one in my beer fridge. :thumbsup:
In my setup, the oil tube heater from my fridge would be more effective for what you are looking at.

Sorry Clint

Sent a reply dut did not arrive ... Hope this answers Foggies questions but will check in a minute but they are big big Strelitzias

Hi Clint

Youve helped me in the past with Beer I believe , and grateful for the interest and input

I have 3 Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia) and 2 Banana Plants which live happily in Garden but are supposed to be kept "frost free" and thrive in the Conservatory when we bring them in. Usually November to May. I do like 3 weeks away at Christmas and its unfair to neighbour obliging as he is to mess about , so I am torn towards Electric Dimplex type heating and they have built in Thermostat , or some say they have

We want the Conservatory gone and I am hoping for a Hex greenhouse by Palram which is 8 feet by 7 feet. So I want to put the Plants in and was looking to have the "heater" cut in at 5c and run till it hit 10c without too much interference from me or neighbour

Again I am trying to take on board any info I can get so many thanks for feedback

Hi Foggie and thanks v much for the interest and reply

I'm liking the look of the Inkbird but would it be a combo of that and a Dimplex heater.

Would Inkbird be able to crack the Heater up when temp fell to say 5c and then simply turn off when Temp in Greenhouse got to say 20c ?

It implies that in their literature , but I know it's different for those with beer fridges where the fridge cools the brew back down

Sorry I'm such a dummy lol

Jt

As daft as it sounds you need heat and air movement. Moving air does not freeze.

Bubble wrap line the greenhouse.
Heat on at 3c of at 5c.
I would also get a small gentle fan to keep the air moving at the same time.

We use a poly in a poly & moving air works well and is cheaper than heating.

Hi and thanks Mashbag for the interest and reply.

Spotted immediately as a Yorkshireman your 3c to 5c .... much better than 5c to 10c (wasting money lol)

Question I haven't got answer to yet is if you use an Inkbird (or similar) can it be set to switch on my chosen heater when temp gets to 3c and then off again when its reached 5c ?

If yes thats great cos I can use a Dimplex tube heater in an extension cable and have a small fan to run in conjunction with it

Cheers again JT

Mind inner Yorkshireman is ever present, I used to be tight, now it seems I am environmentally friendly 😂😂😂

Sorry... Yes.
Tis what I do. This is what inkbirds are for.. And seeds trays.

I will look for bargain Inkbirds now.

I'm going to do as you suggest and line inner walls of Greenhouse with bubble wrap or similar

Install Inkbird and set to come on at 3c go off at 5c. I will have to choose a simple Tube heater or similar with no built in Thermostat as that might be at odds with Inkbird

In addition will put a small fan to come on at same time to "blow" the air around or do you have your fan on most of day and night ?

Then I can look to use Inkbird from May to brew more beer during summer

Cheers again jt

My Inkbirds operates with loads up to 10A, so you might be pushing the heater load

Heater Thermostat - I use a small tube oil heater in my fridge and I just put the thermostate to maximum and control with inkbird. No conflict.

Heat Requirement
Google Greenhouse heating Calculator to workout size of heater you'll need. They have options for Type of Wall/glass and min/max temperature and type house.

I did a very rough calc for here from -5C to 10C for an 8 x 8 glass/insulated - 0.6 heat loss value. 3,500 BTU. Glass only 6,500 BTU, Polethene 7,000 BTU.

More to think about.

The way I go about it for Dahlia flowers ,(heating from the end of January normally) in my 8ft by 6ft I have an ink bird connected to my heated bed which is sand filled and kept damp the heating is via a soil warming cable. I also have a 4 feet dimplex greenhouse heater connected to a second inkbird at floor level. as a back up I have a propane greenhouse heater only used when there is a very cold forecast .
I have used bubble wrap but I found after a couple of seasons it starts to break up I now place bubble wrap when needed over the benches at night removing it each morning as it can get soaking wet

I have used bubble wrap but I found after a couple of seasons it starts to break up I now place bubble wrap when needed over the benches at night removing it each morning as it can get soaking wet
Aye, that is a pain. I bought 5' wide horticultural bubble insulation for a section poly tunner thinking it a UV stable. asad.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and recommendations. I will get Greenhouse well before the first frosts (I hope) and kit out accordingly

I will be around most of winter but trying to get an almost foolproof set up in case I go somewhere sunny for a few weeks. Neighbour is great but I don't want to burden him too much

Conservatory was best set up , but going to get it pulled down Mrs WPs orders

Latest posts

Back