Hello from mid Yorkshire

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildmanbrew

Reaction score
Hi folks been here for a few days and thought it time i introduced myself.
My names Steve, totally new to homebrew. Currently waiting in anticipation for my gear to arrive either today or tommorow. I went for the woodfordes wherry kit and the youngs PB FV and accesories starter kit based on the good reviews. Undecided on bottling or barreling but a bit more research should clear that up.

Cheers

Welcome to the forums, whereabouts in Mid Yorkshire are you ?

Good luck with your first brew, your journey has begun !

Welcome to our forum.
Plenty of people on here willing to help if you have any questions.
If you are starting with kits you could have a look at http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57526
And if you are starting with a Wherry it is an OK pint but the primary fermentation sometimes gets stuck about 1.020 (it's a Muntons yeast thing) so if that happens just come back and ask.

Thanks for the welcomes :)

Welcome to the forums, whereabouts in Mid Yorkshire are you ?

Good luck with your first brew, your journey has begun !

A few miles south of Selby.
And thanks i can see alot more brews happening in the future

Welcome to our forum.
Plenty of people on here willing to help if you have any questions.
If you are starting with kits you could have a look at http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57526
And if you are starting with a Wherry it is an OK pint but the primary fermentation sometimes gets stuck about 1.020 (it's a Muntons yeast thing) so if that happens just come back and ask.
Thanks that answered a few questions i had. Can the yeast out the kit be swapped out to be safe? Ive seen a few references to safale 04 would this be ok

Can the yeast out the kit be swapped out to be safe? Ive seen a few references to safale 04 would this be ok
I have no personal experience of Safale S-04 but it is a 'proper' ale yeast and so it should be fine. I used a GV12 on a Wherry recently and got it down to 1.010 from 1.044 and it turned out a much better drink than the Wherry done with the kit yeast which struggled to get past 1.020 ending up at 1.014.
You could also try the Wilko Ale yeast which some people on the forum say is OK.

Kit arrived this afternoon, got straight on steralising the FV and other gubbins that i needed. Now decision time. Wherry or Nog. Wherry it was.
Got it all mixed up in the FV a little short at 21ltrs. Placed it in my room where its warm and pitched the yeast, lid and airlock on. Bugger! Forgot to take a reading on the hydrometer. Skimmed back the head and took a sample, came in at 1.042 now to sit back, wait and hope.

Welcome aboard wildman, if you have a Wilko nearby maybe get a Gervin yeast for £1.50, the kit yeast with Wherry is notorious for sticking half way through the fermentation. £1.50 and the problem's solved.

Well so far so good, woke up this morning to "bloop bloop bloop" from the airlock :)

Going to wilkos later to get some Gervin yeast and have a look see what else they got

Nice one. Sounds like you will get the bug.
The Wherry is a good start and one of my favourites, tho take heed on the 'stuck at 1020' advice....

And remember the 2+2+2 adage, two weeks in the primary FV then bottle or keg, then two weeks in the warm to carbonate, then two weeks in the cold to condition,or as long as you can wait. And I suspect as this is your first brew, that won't be too long....

Before long, you will like the rest of us poor souls, and have 4 fv's, 4 pb's and a zillion bottles, and plans for a bigger shed :lol: And then you will discover AG (all grain) brewing, but that's another tale...

Nice one. Sounds like you will get the bug.
The Wherry is a good start and one of my favourites, tho take heed on the 'stuck at 1020' advice....

And remember the 2+2+2 adage, two weeks in the primary FV then bottle or keg, then two weeks in the warm to carbonate, then two weeks in the cold to condition,or as long as you can wait. And I suspect as this is your first brew, that won't be too long....

Before long, you will like the rest of us poor souls, and have 4 fv's, 4 pb's and a zillion bottles, and plans for a bigger shed :lol: And then you will discover AG (all grain) brewing, but that's another tale...

Haha thanks already looking at getting a second fv and some bottles...
Patience isnt my strong suite either so i will need to reform my ways.

Been to wilkos today picked up 4 packs of gervins yeast (all they had) another siphon but this time with the capped end, a thermometer and a long handled spoon.

Fv is bubbling away like mad and a lovely malty yeasty aroma filling the room

Latest posts

Back