Hello from the Steel City

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moke

Reaction score
Hello - been registered here a while, and reading a while longer, but felt it was time to pop up and say hello.

I'm a Sheffield based, but South London / Surrey born and bred newby. i've been fudging my way along for the last 6 months or so, knocking out beer kits, wine kits, WOW's and a few improvised concoctions of my own design.

Biggest beer success so far would be an EDME stout kit, pumped up with molasses and treacle, with a bit of wine yeast to make sure it ran all the way out to bone dry. It's nearly all gone!

as well as that pretty much beer as usual - a fairly dreadful youngs lager kit made with table sugar (yeah yeah... i learned!), a wherry kit, coopers canadian, a generic best bitter here and there. I'm trying to compel myself to try all grain, but i'm not convinced the results will be better enough to make it worth the investment - anyone care to convince me?

i've had success in brewing out wine - mostly as my wife likes the results, therefore turns a blind eye to the rest of the gear for bear cluttering up the kitchen. lots of wurzel chardonnay, a fluked wurzel passable table red using grapefruit, asda red grape and loads of jet black tea.

favourite invention being my 'Rhubarbacide' from the sisters allotment overspill - no idea why it isn't a commercial brew - it's awesome!

outside that, i work at Sheffield other university as a packaging design consultant., cook a lot, keep chickens, follow AFC Wimbledon and Essex CCC, thrash about to a bit of mathcore metal pretending to still be a 21 year old, run a bit, cycle a bit, romp round the park with my kids and generally do my best to have a good time on the cheap, as like most people who turn to homebrew to begin with, i'm skint!

would be very interested to meet any other south yorks brewers, especially if they ever fancy a pint in any of this fair cities remarkable array of brewpubs.

Hi Moke welcome along.

I'm from Maltby, t'other side of Sheffield so not far from you. I don't cook, eat chickens can't stand new music ( last 30yrs new lol) I once saw 21, I don't run I don't cycle but I generally try and have a good time on the cheap.
Have a lot in common don't we..... :D

piddledribble said:
Hi Moke welcome along.

I'm from Maltby, t'other side of Sheffield so not far from you. I don't cook, eat chickens can't stand new music ( last 30yrs new lol) I once saw 21, I don't run I don't cycle but I generally try and have a good time on the cheap.
Have a lot in common don't we..... :D

haha! fwiw, i love eating chickens too - just not the ones that lay eggs in my yard. and i hate almost all new music. just like thrashing about to the odd bit of heavy stuff. :D

Davy re your signature....

try a Better brew India Pale Ale kit...... very nice.

piddledribble said:
Davy re your signature....

try a Better brew India Pale Ale kit...... very nice.

Cheers. From what people have been saying I was thinking about the St Peters pale ale

:thumb: :cheers: :cheers:

Yes if I had the choice.... St Peters wins by a mile....

Sorry Moke pinching your thread... :oops:

Welcome to the forum :thumb:
Regarding someone convincing you about AG - why not try and find someone local who would let you come and watch a brew day - it is great fund and you would learn a lot. I would offer but am over an hour away from you and am currently doing split brewdays to fit around the family committments :cheers:

Back