Moving to All-Grain brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gillymate

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Been brewing for around 2 years from various kits. Over this time I’ve made Simply Pale Ale and Golden Ale, Bulldog Cider, MasterPint IPA and Bulldog Evil Dog IPA, along with 2 successful batches of white and red wine.
It’s all good fun, but having got to the point where I’m fairly comfortable following a set of instructions and keeping all my equipment nice and clean, I’m wanting to start making beer from scratch, rather than from Malt Extract.
I’ve watched a couple of videos online but it all seems a bit daunting.
Is anyone able to help get me started? What equipment do I need, what grains should I buy, what is the process to make my first batch, so I can take it from there and become more independent and make the process less prescribed.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Shaun

I’ve just made the jump myself. I bought a £20 stockpot and a straining bag from Wilkos and a couple of all grain recipe kits from Worcester hop shop. This gives me instructions to follow. I split the ingredients into 2 and did a Saturday evening mash/boil then repeated this with the 2nd half of the kit on Sunday morning, combining the two worts. I’ve now bought 2 12 litre FB’s and hope to tweak the second brew of each kit by trying a different yeast, or by adding some different hops to compare the difference it makes. I’ve lots to learn and this seems a good way.

Hi everyone,
Been brewing for around 2 years from various kits. Over this time I’ve made Simply Pale Ale and Golden Ale, Bulldog Cider, MasterPint IPA and Bulldog Evil Dog IPA, along with 2 successful batches of white and red wine.
It’s all good fun, but having got to the point where I’m fairly comfortable following a set of instructions and keeping all my equipment nice and clean, I’m wanting to start making beer from scratch, rather than from Malt Extract.
I’ve watched a couple of videos online but it all seems a bit daunting.
Is anyone able to help get me started? What equipment do I need, what grains should I buy, what is the process to make my first batch, so I can take it from there and become more independent and make the process less prescribed.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Shaun

What he said ( @cushyno ). You don’t need a lot of kit or expense to get really good brews - and you’ll have a great time along the way.

Just to add that moving away from kits you then have the flexibility of brewing beer outside of the 20-23 litre batches most kits require
And if you get a stock pot a few sinkfuls of water will cool your pan of wort, or there's always no chill where you leave the wort to cool slowly over a few hours, so a wort cooler is not a necessity.

I jumped into AG a few years back and was a bit daunted by it all, I had a Liquor tun/boiler and a mash tun made from a cool box but everything worked out and made great beers after making small errors and learning along the way how to correct them. I now have an all in one and really like the process, as said you don't need to spend loads on equipment but buying the best you can afford is key I think. Happy brewing and have fun.

This is all very encouraging as this is a direction I am hoping to go. I'll still be doing kits, without doubt, and this seems like a good way to get in to AG. Three things that appeal to me are being able to make smaller batches, the ability to experiment, and that every single piece of equipment I already own can be used. For an additional £30 one-off (plus ingredients), I can be doing AG!

I jumped into AG a few years back and was a bit daunted by it all, I had a Liquor tun/boiler and a mash tun made from a cool box but everything worked out and made great beers after making small errors and learning along the way how to correct them. I now have an all in one and really like the process, as said you don't need to spend loads on equipment but buying the best you can afford is key I think. Happy brewing and have fun.
I completely agree with buying the best you can afford. Except for the very first steps. Sink £20 into a stockpot, become familiar with the general process and timings of a Brewday. Use the first 3/4 brews to work out of it suits you. If you're hooked at that point you'll also have read enough to know which way you want to head, BIAB / all-in-one, or multi-stage. Think of the first few brews as your initiation. You'll learn a lot, have some laughs and make some goofs too. Then you've earned your right to spend cash if you choose to.

My journey involved 2 kits, then two stockpot 10L brews. After that I bought a plastic peco boiler and used a coolbox I already had. I'm still using the same approach 25 batches later. It works for me. If I had my time again and didn't already own the coolbox, I'd have bought a Robobrew or similar and done BIAB, but it wouldn't give me any better beer or experience than what I get using my 2.5 vessel method (plastic peco boiler, coolbox + the original stockpot) ;).

Where in the country are you as there may be someone near to you who would let you join them on a brew day. I personally have helped a few brewers this way.

Where in the country are you as there may be someone near to you who would let you join them on a brew day. I personally have helped a few brewers this way.

I really like this idea! Sorry to jump in but if there is anyone near Peterborough willing to do this I would love to join them on their brew day.

I’m in Preston if anyone fancies giving me a socially distanced demo!

I really like this idea! Sorry to jump in but if there is anyone near Peterborough willing to do this I would love to join them on their brew day.
Hi Derren,

I’m 9 miles north of Peterborough, would be happy to let you help with one of my brew days when the C-19 situation allows. I have a small self built AG rig that produces 23l a brew.

Best regards
Dave

Cheers Dave

Definitely up for that thank you. Drop me a line with a personal number and we could arrange something when convenient. Thanks again

I’ve just made the jump myself. I bought a £20 stockpot and a straining bag from Wilkos and a couple of all grain recipe kits from Worcester hop shop. This gives me instructions to follow. I split the ingredients into 2 and did a Saturday evening mash/boil then repeated this with the 2nd half of the kit on Sunday morning, combining the two worts. I’ve now bought 2 12 litre FB’s and hope to tweak the second brew of each kit by trying a different yeast, or by adding some different hops to compare the difference it makes. I’ve lots to learn and this seems a good way.
Thanks for this post. I have now done the same re getting a Wilko stock pot and a straining bag (I must say, I have never seen wilko so well stocked with homebrew kits, equipment and ingredients!). I am going to use an old Ashbeck water bottle as a FV and do some 5L batches to find my feet. Just need to order some grain and hops. Unfortunately I don't think my LHBS is open at the moment :( but I have heard good things about Worcester hop shop and the Malt Miller.

Thanks for this post. I have now done the same re getting a Wilko stock pot and a straining bag (I must say, I have never seen wilko so well stocked with homebrew kits, equipment and ingredients!). I am going to use an old Ashbeck water bottle as a FV and do some 5L batches to find my feet. Just need to order some grain and hops. Unfortunately I don't think my LHBS is open at the moment :( but I have heard good things about Worcester hop shop and the Malt Miller.
Never used Worcester hop shop but the Malt miller and The home brew company have both given me good service since the lockdown

Never used Worcester hop shop but the Malt miller and The home brew company have both given me good service since the lockdown
Excellent, thanks. It's always good to have options!

They only sell grain after 3pm, not sure if you're aware. They are really good IMHO.
Thank you, I thought I had read that somewhere. Thanks for confirming. I think I shall try them first as they are resonably local to me, and I have friends who live about a mile away from them, so potential to do future click-collect too!

Latest posts

Back