Hello from Watford!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterH

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just started home brewing. Started off by making 6 gallons of rhubarb and ginger wine, which is still in process. With beer I've just opened a bottle of my first one. A Young's bitter kit which I reckon may have been out of date, it's been in a cupboard for years. I think I worked it out to be about a 3.8% brew. Is still a bit hazy and whilst there is carbonation, there isn't any head on it. Being kind I would describe it as being a bittersweet yeasty sort of flavour. Not great. I think the trouble was the yeast which came with the kit didn't do anything so I had to put more in.

The next brew is already underway and has been in the bucket for 6 days now. St. Peter's Honey Porter. Hydrometer reading coming out a bit low - 1034. I see other people getting around the 1045 mark - and I added a little bit of extra honey and sugar. I reckon I may be using the hydrometer wrong...

Also got some hops growing, they've come over from next door - no idea what variety they are. I will do another two kits after this then give a go at my own recipe.

Old kits do tend to go stale, and the yeast will be unreliable. Sometimes you can salvage things by replacing the yeast, and boosting the kit hops with a dry hop or a hop tea. Many on this forum do both of these even with fresh kits.
As far as your latest brew is concerned it is unclear to me from what you have said whether you have a current SG (after six days) of 1.034, or that was your OG. If you are having trouble reading your hydrometer try this
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60895
If your OG was low at the beginning and you have added the correct quantity of fermentables and you are reading the hydrometer correctly, one possible reason for a low reading is inadequate mixing of the FV contents.

I think I have the misfortune of a stale kit then. It is just drinkable I'd say, I think it is too late for any salvage attempt now that it's all bottled.

1.034 was my OG, I think it may have been a temperature issue - I wasn't aware at the time that this made a difference. I've checked it now and it has gone down to 1.014 which is correct stage after 6 days according to the instructions.

My hydrometer doesn't say to what temperature it is calibrated to, I see there is a way to check it on that link though. That'd be worth looking at.. I've checked the instructions but it doesn't mention. It has to drop to 1.005-7 before I can bottle I believe?

Just checked and both the Young's Bitter and the Honey Porter had an OG of 1.034, although I'm not sure what temperature I did the OGs. I bottled the Young's Bitter at 1.005 so the ABV is about 3.8% I think.

Just checked and both the Young's Bitter and the Honey Porter had an OG of 1.034, although I'm not sure what temperature I did the OGs. I bottled the Young's Bitter at 1.005 so the ABV is about 3.8% I think.
Differences in normal ambient temperatures will not affect the SG too much. If you believe you are reading your hydrometer correctly, it is possible that the hydrometer itself might be out. It is easy to check; first check the calibration temperature (normally printed on the side- typically 20*C), then place it in water at that temperature, it should read 1.000.

Back