help me find this beer please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaman7117

Reaction score
Hi all

Was at a party about 6 months ago and a bloke there had this wicked home brew.

It tasted like malt to begin with then finished with a massive slap of grapefruit.

It was fantastic and no one seems to know who he was but most remember his beer.

No idea about what it was other than an I.P.A.

Brewed several I.P.As and a few A.P.As and nothing is even close to it.

Any ideas????

possibly some sort of punk ipa clone? if you use the search link(not the search bar) above search for topic word 'punk' by author nobyipa , he brewed a superb clone. otherwise it could be anything if its a homebrew beer.

Dam!

Was hoping for an easy kit + hop tea bag kinda thing. Haven't even thought of tredding towards mashing etc.. Only been brewing since November 13 and mashing etc is way beyond my comfort zone and present skill level. Are there any punk IPA kits? Or can someone maybe suggest a kit plus hop teabag thing as this is about my current skill level...... Thanks in advance.

Grapefruit suggests Citra hops to me. I would think that if you made a hop tea and dry hopped almost any IPA kit with a good amount of Citra you'd get grapefruit.

dry hopping citra gets you a lovely peach, lychee fruit aroma but can be overdone and become pungent too much IMHO in small amounts balanced with say cascade is fantastic

if you simply want to dry hop one of your brews to get citussy grapefruit aromas and maybe flavour

go for a light ale kit something light in flavour 20 litres ish
ferment out completely

DRY HOP
rack onto 50 gram of vics secret and 50 grams SImcoe
leaf or pellet
leave for 7 to 9 days at 15C until most off the hops have sunk
then re rack to bottling bucket or keg whatever you use prime and your away
get your hops here
http://uk.ebid.net/items/ramengltddean
or 100 gram simcoe
:thumb:

I agree with above Cascade to me is grapefruit, but all of the 'C' hops have varying amounts of citrus fruit aroma. :thumb:

Fantastic!

Thank you all for your input. Will definatly be giving this a go. I have a coopers Australian pale ale kit which I'll use for this as its a nice light ale.
Now to decide on what hops to go for from your suggestions...... Hmmmm.

:thumb: :grin:

A number of hops provide a grapefruit flavour. It's just occurred to me that you could steep some hops in the boiling water you use to rinse out the kit can, if you do kits, which would help release more flavour. Pour the extract out into the FV, fill the can with boiling water and stir, add some hops and stir them in, leave for 30 minutes or more. Add to the FV. Then dry hop, when fermentation has died down.

Check out the Better Brew IPA review thread too - it may give you what you want.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25115

Simcoe, Centennial and Chinook are all strong grapefruit hops. Centennial is like a stronger version of Cascade. Columbus is another possibility, and Green Bullet, in my experience. You might also like Amarillo, which is very popular, but I think it has a more orange/citrus kind of flavour.

I'd suggest Simcoe if I had to pick one.

@clibit

I just bottled off the better brew IPA last week... Wish I had spotted that thread earlier. Going to crack open a bottle of it tonight, just for research purposes. :)

Just incase you may be on this forum I think your name was Dave or davie , the party was in cross gates fife.
Your home brew was fantastic! Thank you. please p.m. me if it was you (sorry if i have your name wrong)

:cheers:

The hop additions in Festival Razorback IPA are Centennial, simcoe and summit and they certainly do give it a grapefruity kick which does settle back after a couple of months conditioning :hat:

Are local sainsburys sells them too. Punk IPA. 330ml and Ltr bottles also the dead pony club and 5am saint

Latest posts

Back