help me find this beer please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cascade for me.

I used 55g for 6 days in a light beer which ended up pretty nice. Lager malt with a touch of wheat and caramalt. Hopped with a mix of amarillo and cascade at every addition other than dry hopping (wasted on bittering hops, note to self for next time) if it helps.

Someone mentioned soaking them in boiling water when rinsing the can out, I'm not so sure it would get through the fermentation with the character you wanted from the beer. Dry hopping is normally done in a secondary fv after fermentation has finished so the yeasts working doesn't detract from the flavour/aroma that the hops impart. Could be wrong, but that is my interpretation of dry hopping.

The action of fermentation ie production of co2 can drive off volatile oils in the hops as with boiling them so I agree dry hop after fermentation.

Defiantly sound American, eg Sierra Nevada I.P.A with tons of Cascade's...

Richard

I (will) have two spare fv in a few weeks and plan to split the fermented ale between them and use two different hop varieties (one in each fv) just to see what works better.

I have a question though, how much hop would I need per 10ltr?

Thinking I'm going to get cascade and probably citra in pellet form and teabag them and leave for a week and bottle.
:hmm:

shaman7117 said:
I (will) have two spare fv in a few weeks and plan to split the fermented ale between them and use two different hop varieties (one in each fv) just to see what works better.

I have a question though, how much hop would I need per 10ltr?

Thinking I'm going to get cascade and probably citra in pellet form and teabag them and leave for a week and bottle.
:hmm:
50 gram will be more than enough per 10litre cascade
citra is very pungent so 20 30 grams per 10 litre
:thumb:

Nice one thank you. I may go for chinook instead of citra (depends what mood im in when i buy them) Really can't wait to try this out. I have a cider kit and a pinot grigio to bottle off next weekend then we're all systems go.
Will order hops sometime next week.

Citra is a fantastic hop, really aromatic, make sure you try it. But try all these others too, Simcoe is superb, and Centennial. I love Columbus, I think it is really under-rated. Chinook too, it's full on and in your face - too much for some, and I have to be in the mood. They all have similarities but are also noticeably different. You have to try Cascade too, it's a very widely used hop and is very popular, I just think those others have something extra, an extra dimension.

There are loads of other great hops too - so many, and so little time. :drink:

Well just sipping my first bottle of my hopped up Australian pale ale this one has the chinook hops in it.....

Not bad but not as Hoppy as I had hoped. Not really that grapefruity but definitely an improvement on the non hopped article.

Got the citra one chilling and will post back later once I've had a sip or two.

Latest posts

Back