Help me out with a maths calculation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
Maths are not my strong point and I could do with some help.

I want to make a 33% solution of Calcium Chloride from my flakes.
The flakes have a 77% purity.
Therefore to make 100mls of 33% solution, first I need the weight required which I have as:
33/.77 = 43g

So I dissolve 43g Calcium Chloride with distilled water to make 100mls.

That's the easy bit.

So if I wish to add the liquid equivalent of 1 gram of Calcium Chloride, how much of the solution do I use?

Your solution has 33g of calcium chloride in it.

Note that just because you started out with 100ml of water doesn't necessarily mean you end up with 100ml of solution - it may be more than 100ml by a little bit.

You want 1g of calcium chloride. So take your total volume of solution and divide by 33. If your solution is 100ml then 100/33 = 3.3ml as starseeker says. If your solution is a bit more than 100ml, then you'll end up with a bit more than 3.3ml.

i could be wrong, but i made it 3.3 ml = approx 1g of calcium chloride

Thank you :)

Note that just because you started out with 100ml of water doesn't necessarily mean you end up with 100ml of solution - it may be more than 100ml by a little bit.

Actually I added the CaCl2 to a container and then topped up to 100mls rather than adding 100mls

You want 1g of calcium chloride. So take your total volume of solution and divide by 33. If your solution is 100ml then 100/33 = 3.3ml as starseeker says. If your solution is a bit more than 100ml, then you'll end up with a bit more than 3.3ml.

But if I have 200mls of 33% solution then the math doesn't work? 200/33 = 6.06, yet the concentration is the same.

Back