Help! Mould forming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJC

Reaction score
Currently have a Youngs American IPA on the go, in its second week and gravity down to 1.014. I haven't added the hops yet as there's still quite a bit of krausen so I was going to leave it a few more days (I'm off for a long weekend) and then add the hops when I return on Monday for a couple more days.

The only problem is I checked this morning and there are white mould spots on the krausen, particularly on the sides of the FV. Aaghhh, I don't want to lose this whole batch but is it too late?

Does it smell/taste ok? Is it still fermenting?

I haven't lifted the lid to smell it, I didn't want to risk any further contamination. As for tasting, it's too early to be swigging beer although I tried it yesterday when I took the gravity reading and it tasted ok. There's still a hefty amount of krausen which would indicate that it's still fermenting plus it hasn't reached the anticipated FG.

From what I can see the mould is appearing on the krausen collar (I have a Coopers FV) so I could remove it and hope that it stops any further spread but I'm not entirely confident. I'm off to Germany tomorrow and I didn't want to return and find the batch ruined by masses of mould.

I would put trust in the beer gods personally - if it's still fermenting there will be a good layer of co2. Lifting the lid to remove the krausen is probably riskier than leaving it...Let us know how it turns out!

Do you have a second FV? Rack the beer from below and leave the mould in the 1st. I've had mould in a beer before and that's what I did and it tasted fine

Latest posts

Back