help? Pear wine not clearing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weepete

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I started a pear wine (from the fruit) a couple of months back. Pipped it all and put it in the primary and let it ferment out. It threw a lot of sediment so I de-gassed, racked it, added finings and stabiliser and left to clear for a week. It wasn't clear so I added another dose of finings and pectolaise and let it sit for a month but it's still not clearing, I'm pretty stuck with what to do now so can anyone help?

Hi :) I must admit I'm new to brewing, but have you looked up the different types of finings? There are lots and they all work in different ways so different finings might work better. Also, it might just clear with time? Hopefully somebody more experienced will be more help :L Good luck with your wine!

Thanks for the reply mate, I'm using Kwick Clear finings which have worked on my past brews incuding another pear that I did last year. I'll have a wee look into it and see if I can find anything though

Did you add pectinase (or pectinol, pectin destroying enzyme or anything else that sounds similar (they're all the same thing)), if you didn't it'll be a haze caused by the pectin. just add a couple of teaspoons per gallon and leave it for a bit.

Yes, he did, he said so, up there ^
But, pear being pear, maybe not enough.
Try more, I would.

Hey brewtrog, as mentioned it's already had two doses of the stuff!

Thanks Oldbloke, I'll give it another dose and see.

Anyone know if you add too much pectolaise and any idea what the effect on the wine would be?

Sorry, must have missed that bit. There shouldn't be any detrimental effects of adding too much pectolase

Cool, thanks mate. I gave it a good dose of pectolaise this morning so fingers crossed it'll clear now. I'll check it in a week or so

So, it's been about a week now and no change in the wine, still really cloudy even after the pectolaise :(

Anybody got any ideas how I might save this?

My Goji berry wine still hasn't cleared either, I've been thinking about making some kind of inline filter using some plumbing supplies and filter coffee papers. I've heard that filtering can remove some of the complexity from a wine, but my Goji is super strong flavoured so toning that down might not be detrimental.

Do anyone have any plans for making filters? I know I could buy one for about £20 in Wilkinsons but I'd prefer to make something.

I would just put coffee filter papers in a funnel, or you could strain it through kitchen roll?

I tried the coffee filter thing and did a test glass, no joy though. I was thinking on trying some kind of other filter though I'm not sure it would work either. Looks like I'm going to rack it again into some 5l bottles and leave it to see if eventually settles

Have you tried putting it somewhere cold? Fridge or even just sit it on a cold concrete floor. Also try gelatine. Heat a cup of water to 80c then add a leaf of gelatine, let it dissolve then add to wine. :thumb:

Its sitting on a laminate floor that gets pretty cold at the moment as our heating is off, so it's pretty much as cold as it can get without refridgeration. Ive got a little in a separate bottle so I'll stick that in the fridge and see if it helps. The finings I've been using already contain gelatine, but I'll give it a go! Thanks

Latest posts

Back