Help!! Think I've done an oopsie!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

escollay

Brewdog
Reaction score
Think I've made a bit of a balls....

I was doing my first full grain brew and misread the recipe and put my spray malt in at the start of the mash... It was only when I check my OG and got a reading of 1.010, that I realised that something was wrong. It was a stout that I was making.

Any ideas how to rectify this??

Think I've made a bit of a balls....

I was doing my first full grain brew and misread the recipe and put my spray malt in at the start of the mash... It was only when I check my OG and got a reading of 1.010, that I realised that something was wrong. It was a stout that I was making.

Any ideas how to rectify this??

I've never used spray malt in an AG batch but I'm guessing some of it may have been absorbed into the grain / been filtered out by the grain bed. I'd just dump some more in to the boil kettle to get the gravity reading up and hope for the best. That said 1.010 is very low - how much grain were you using?

Thanks for your reply, I post up the amounts used shortly. It has started to bubble away in my Demi when I left this morning perhaps a good sign?

If you used spray malt it's not all grain. That said, an OG of 1.010 is worryingly low... is that pre or post boil? Either way, if it's correct, you're in trouble. How long did you mash for and at what temp?

Did you temperature correct your OG reading? It's 1 point of gravity per 3 degrees over the calibrated figure for your hydrometer (often calibrated at 20 C). So if you check it at 50C you need to add 10 points to the OG figure.

Anything I can do to up it at this stage? Don't really have the time to order stuff so probs have to be a quick fix!

image.jpg

My grain was:

2.7kg English pale malt
1kg Ost malt
1ky crystal malt
800g Chocolate malt

Then 500g Muntons Dark Spraymalt (added in at the wrong time!)

I mashed it at 67c for 90 mins; then sparged at 77c

Well, I'm stumped. I can only assume (a) your mash didn't convert any sugars or (b) your hydrometer is broken. Sorry, no idea.

must agree, 1010 is close to the finished gravity of most brews, and even if fermented down to a final sub 1000 reading wont be much in the way of a beer..

in a demijon so 4.5-5l ?? as 100g of dme(spray malt) added to 1 litre will give u an about 1040 gravity solution. so add upto 100g spray malt per litre of beer to up it to something more like a 5% beer..

HOWEVER have u checked the hydrometer in water at room temp ?? it should read about 1000, as u dunked the thing in close to boiling beer the glue holding the paper grade tube in place may have melted and let it slip, giving u a garbage reading most of em warn about using in boiling liquids..
shake it? does the tube slip up n down?? if so get a new one ;)

Back