help wanted - winter warmer christmas beer recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bossdrums

Reaction score
I've now done more than 5 extract brews and am happy with the process and am now looking to experiment a bit with different styles however, I don't want to make a 23l batch as it could all go terribly wrong. So I was thinking of make a 10l batch or beer in time for christmas....

what I'm after is some advice on the the recipe I've created so far, as I've never added any flavour to my brews before I don't know if this is too much...any comments/help would be appreciated.

Recipe Name: winter warmer
Style: English Ordinary Bitter
Brew Length: 10L
Boil Minutes: 30
Yeast: Safale English Ale - (S-04)

Notes: steep the chocolate malt for 30 mins at 70 degrees then add malt extract, bring to boil and add hops. Flavouring to be added with 10 mins left to boil

Fermentables:
Malt Extract - Amber 1500
Chocolate Malt 250

Bittering Hops:
Fuggles 40g 30mins
Fuggles 10g 10mins
Aroma Hops: Fuggles 20g steep 20mins
Flavourings:
Cinnamon 2 Sticks 10 mins left to boil
Orange Peel 1 Orange 10 mins left to boil

Expected OG: 1051
Expected FG: 1014
Expected ABV: 4.9%
Expected IBU: 37.7 IBU
Expected SRM: 43.9 SRM

Thanks in advance

**BUMP**

anyone any thoughts on my recipe ??

specifically the amount of flavouring for the batch size...

Thanks in advance

This may be the one-eyed leading the blind, but, the flavourings should go with the extract you've picked, the chocolate malt looks like a good addition given the strength, and for a 10L brewlength you'd better do it now if it's to be conditioned for christmas. Should be good though!

I don't understand why you'd want to ruin a beer by adding chocalate, cinnamon and orange peel to it? :shock: Almost as bad as using S-04(bloody one taste regardless of what you brew)

Have a word to AT about adding chilli to beer and what it does to the lawn when you pour it away... :whistle:

But don't let the grumpy old fart put you off. :cheers:

Back