Help with All Grain kit.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

A while back i bought a couple of kits online, one is a Neck Oil Clone (yet to be brewed) the other was meant to be a NEIPA, but they sent the wrong kit (Later corrected) The kit they sent was a traditional English IPA.

Is there any way i can convert the grain bill to make a NEIPA style beer? IE: different hops and/or yeast, grain additions, etc? Below is the kit they sent.

https://kegthat.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Crisp-IPA.pdf
Malts are:
Extra Pale - 4.37kg
Light Munich - 0.23kg

Hops are:
Sovereign - 22.7gms. Start of boil.
East Kent Goldings - 9.6gms. Middle.
Earnest _ 19.2gms. Flame out.

Yeast is:
London Ale.

I use Greg Hughes recipe
4kg pilsner malt
1kg flaked oats
500g Vienna malt
250g carapils
50g Simcoe at flame out
50g Amarillo at flame out
150g citra dry hop last 3 days
100g galaxy dry hop last 3 days
Wyeast 1318 London ale III yeast (I use verdant IPA yeast)

I think you could sub the pilsner malt for your extra pale.

I use Greg Hughes recipe
4kg pilsner malt
1kg flaked oats
500g Vienna malt
250g carapils
50g Simcoe at flame out
50g Amarillo at flame out
150g citra dry hop last 3 days
100g galaxy dry hop last 3 days
Wyeast 1318 London ale III yeast (I use verdant IPA yeast)

I think you could sub the pilsner malt for your extra pale.
And then change the hops to suit?

You might be able to substitute your light Munich malt for the Vienna malt but I wouldn’t know about quantities. Yes the hop schedule is totally different.

There are other NEIPA recipes that you might find on tinternet.

You might be able to substitute your light Munich malt for the Vienna malt but I wouldn’t know about quantities. Yes the hop schedule is totally different.

There are other NEIPA recipes that you might find on tinternet.
Thanks for the info, my aim was to try and use up the grains/malts that i have and sort of cobble together a NEIPA style beer.

Not being very clued up on grains and hops etc, i just thought I’d put it out there for you more knowledgable brewers. From my understanding the haze in a NEIPA comes from oats ( i think) could i just add breakfast oats to the grains, change the hops to something like Citra, Galaxy or others?

Follow what Buffers has said
I use Pale malt/Minch in all my IPA's and you can sub Munich for Vienna they are reasonably similar.
I would find one recipe that seems to work for you and then just change hops to suit what you are trying to achieve taste wise

I just use cheap porridge oats (nothing added) for my NEIPA. Just to complicate matters, I do a beta-glucan rest where I mash the oats with an equal quantity of base malt (1kg in this recipe) at 50C-55C for 20 minutes. Then add this to the main mash. In my experience this stops the oats turning to porridge and gumming up the mash, which, if you recirculate the wort during the mash, is useful. Not so much if you BIAB.

I just use cheap porridge oats (nothing added) for my NEIPA. Just to complicate matters, I do a beta-glucan rest where I mash the oats with an equal quantity of base malt (1kg in this recipe) at 50C-55C for 20 minutes. Then add this to the main mash. In my experience this stops the oats turning to porridge and gumming up the mash, which, if you recirculate the wort during the mash, is useful. Not so much if you BIAB.
Brilliant and thanks again, I’m doing the Neck Oil Clone this weekend but will get round to the adapted NEIPA probably the weekend after and will post results.

Am i right in thinking that the fruitiness of a NEIPA comes from the hops? And the mouthfeel and malt taste from the grains?

Am i right in thinking that the fruitiness of a NEIPA comes from the hops? And the mouthfeel and malt taste from the grains?
Yes and yes. Having brewed a similar recipe but with no oats and no dry hop I think the mouth feel and appearance are down to the oats and huge dry hop, the latter contributing to the fruity fragrance and flavour.
Look forward to hear how things go with both brews.

Yes and yes. Having brewed a similar recipe but with no oats and no dry hop I think the mouth feel and appearance are down to the oats and huge dry hop, the latter contributing to the fruity fragrance and flavour.
Look forward to hear how things go with both brews.
Thanks again and will definitely post the results. I did the Neck Oil Clone for my first all grain brew and it turned out sort of OK (ish) but now that I’m sort of familiar with the process I’m expecting better results.
Below is the recipe.

The Neck Oil Clone Recipe​

Batch SizeLossesBoil TimeMash EfficiencyMash VolumeSparge Volume
21 L2 L60 mins80%14.30 L14.90 L
OG (SG)
FG (SG)
IBU
Colour (EBC)
ABV
4.29%
Mash and Sparge volumes calculated using the “Grainfather G30 Connect – 220V (Bluetooth)” profile.

Fermentables AmountUsagePPGEBC
Maris Otter 3.50 kg (88%)Mash38.07.9
Crystal 240 – 94L 0.25 kg (6%)Mash35.0250.2
Carapils 0.25 kg (6%)Mash33.65.0
Supplier: Weyermann
Mash Steps
TempTime
Mash In68 °C60 min
Mash Out75 °C10 min
HopsAmountTypeUsageTimeAA
Cascade (IBU: 3.0)5.00 g (3%)PelletBoil30 min5.8
Amarillo (IBU: 14.7)16.00 g (11%)PelletBoil30 min9