Help with Beersmith2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm confused tbh!
I've bought the beersmith2 via PayPal..
But I've not got any emails to activate it.
Emailed them via PayPal addresse, via beersmith2 link,..registered an account..
But all I have is the trial version is out of date..
Maybe I need to wait and be patient tbh!
It is new year-ish still!
Sorry but my 'learning difficulties' get me confused and stressed lol.
Any help I've missed I'd apreciate it.
Thx

I use beersmith (2) and like it. Worth spending a bit of time setting up your equipment and playing....do a few dummy recipes to get confident with it..... and in the mash profile tick the 'adjust temp for equip' box each time you set up a new recipe.

edit: off topic, but how is your brewmaster bucket?? leak free now?

I use beersmith (2) and like it. Worth spending a bit of time setting up your equipment and playing....do a few dummy recipes to get confident with it..... and in the mash profile tick the 'adjust temp for equip' box each time you set up a new recipe.

hi m8
thx for the advice on BS2.
the brewbucket is certainly the dogs do dars!
no leaking...racking if I have & bottling is easy peasy n stuff..:thumb:

I used to use Promash & really got used to it but have now got beersmith 2 & it is really good & I much prefer it now. certain things need a bit of getting your head round, a bit of practice with it & you'll be brewing like a pro:thumb:

I used to use Promash & really got used to it but have now got beersmith 2 & it is really good & I much prefer it now. certain things need a bit of getting your head round, a bit of practice with it & you'll be brewing like a pro:thumb:

Just pmsl!! Me a pro!!!
I'm getting the hang of it tbh..
Now I been tips n stuff..
Thx

bs2, so those that use it, what do you use it for?
do you make your own recipes ?if so how do you know what your making?
do you use recipes on there and adjust to suit your own equip.
ive looked at it a few times, but not really sure what to expect from it,

bs2, so those that use it, what do you use it for?
do you make your own recipes ?if so how do you know what your making?
do you use recipes on there and adjust to suit your own equip.
ive looked at it a few times, but not really sure what to expect from it,

Build recipes.
Control stock - I add my inventory which makes ordering stock easy, basically says what you need
Build recipes.
Add notes to completed recipes.
Added the settings for my equipment etc.
I just scratch the surface on what you can do with it.

I've just started using it - It's great for tweaking recipes; figuring out how changing the grain bill will affect the final strength so can strengthen or weaken a recipe to your taste. Recently started using it to figure out my mash efficiency too as I had some issues with that.

But I do have a question I've been meaning to ask and this seems a good thread for it...

I'm pretty new to AG brewing and have been following James Morton's 'Brew' book to date. In their he says that adding steeping hops after the boil will add aroma but not bitterness. But when I add in my steeping hops on Beersmith (which I mark as for steeping) it ups my IBUs on the resulting beer, which means they go way off the scale when I make anything hoppy. Am I doing something wrong?

Think a guru be along to answer your questions! Think I know I'm not cut out for answer it let alone think and breath lol
I like the added more grains for stronger brew and see the ammout that would eventually get desired % ABV..
And of course a GrainFather profile..
Once I've changed the U.K. Volumes temp-measurements I'm happy as Larry!!
Think this would be benifilal when I looked at the 'left over recipe' to see how it's going to perform..
Now learning IBU's n what it means.
A great learning tool for me..well worth the money!

I'm pretty new to AG brewing and have been following James Morton's 'Brew' book to date. In their he says that adding steeping hops after the boil will add aroma but not bitterness. But when I add in my steeping hops on Beersmith (which I mark as for steeping) it ups my IBUs on the resulting beer, which means they go way off the scale when I make anything hoppy. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi!
Try allowing the wort to cool to 63C before adding flavour/aroma hops.
http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/01/21/late-hop-additions-and-hop-oils-in-beer-brewing/

Hi!
You could add the hops at 63C and continue cooling. I've read that some have tried leaving hops in the FV during fermentation.
What I'm planning to do is hold back on all late addition hops and add them all after fermentation, either as a dry hop or a hop tea. I wonder how it will turn out?

Hi!
You could add the hops at 63C and continue cooling. I've read that some have tried leaving hops in the FV during fermentation.
What I'm planning to do is hold back on all late addition hops and add them all after fermentation, either as a dry hop or a hop tea. I wonder how it will turn out?

Hmmmmmm! I wonder
I'll be watching Col with interest :-)

bloody 'ell
I look at this my heed was going on over time.
thanks...great post.
so als I have do is cool the wort to 63C, then add the hops?
how long to leave it? or just carry on we the cooling into the fv?
sorry my memory is gone...just read this morning:doh:
I should read again tbh haha!:mrgreen:

I've had best results with a 20 minute wait time. I cool to under 80, usually hits 75 in a blink of an eye. Joys of a plate chiller. Throw my hops in then start the timer and head off to clean the mash tun and empty the FV of StarSan. Once the boil ends, I tend to get real busy moving things around.

Hi!

I've done both. But doing both really makes a difference. Without dry hopping the taste just isn't quiet there. But dry hopping only without that late, whirlpool addition, there's this real hop taste but it seems way to forward and not deep enough.

Back