Help with brewing a Paradigm Shift

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynx Brewery

Reaction score
I’m brewing a Paradigm Shift from James Morton’s “Brew” book. I’m confused though with how I use the Carafa Special III.

It says I need to cold steep 1.5 kg of Carafa in 3 litres of water 24 hours before BrewDay. The notes say “This extracts darkness but no bitterness”

The recipe then says “Bring 35 litres of water up to 72.5 C. include in this your overnight grain poured through a sieve or bag.” I’m assuming that I’m therefore just adding the liquor to the mash (and discarding the grain).

I think that’s right but wanted to check. I’ve brewed it once before but cannot remember what I did.

Sounds like a lot of work and I am skeptical that there is much difference from just adding to the mash.

Are you using extract?

Sounds like a lot of work and I am skeptical that there is much difference from just adding to the mash.

Are you using extract?
It’s a bit of a monster. 16kg of malt (as well as the Carafa) to brew 20 litres. I have to do two separate mashes to fit it in my equipment.

Target OG is 1.130 - 1.134, though I don’t think I’ll achieve that.

It’s a bit of a monster. 16kg of malt (as well as the Carafa) to brew 20 litres. I have to do two separate mashes to fit it in my equipment.

Target OG is 1.130 - 1.134, though I don’t think I’ll achieve that.
Wow that's ambitious. I was going to comment on 1.5kg of carafa but that would make sense in that malt bill. Definitely cold steep it then. I always thought people added this after the boil but before it cooled.

Wow that's ambitious. I was going to comment on 1.5kg of carafa but that would make sense in that malt bill. Definitely cold steep it then. I always thought people added this after the boil but before it cooled.
I have used this method when brewing a black IPA or a stout that I want to finish smooth. I normally add the runnings 10 mins from the end of the boil.
@Hazelwood Brewery also uses this method, it cuts down on conditioning time

There's nothing magic about a volume of 20 litres - if say you can fit 12 kg in your kit then there's nothing wrong with aiming for 15 litres, or whatever.

Especially if you're at the stage of "can I squeeze this in" then I would reduce the target volume - it's not quite a 90:10 rule where the final 10% of grist makes everything 90% more difficult, but it's something like that. You can't stir it properly so your efficiency is down, it's a pain all along the parts of the brew where you're handling the grist. And always allow for the volume of the malt!

There's nothing magic about a volume of 20 litres - if say you can fit 12 kg in your kit then there's nothing wrong with aiming for 15 litres, or whatever.

Especially if you're at the stage of "can I squeeze this in" then I would reduce the target volume - it's not quite a 90:10 rule where the final 10% of grist makes everything 90% more difficult, but it's something like that. You can't stir it properly so your efficiency is down, it's a pain all along the parts of the brew where you're handling the grist. And always allow for the volume of the malt!
Thanks NB. Probably good advice.

A bit of a goldfish moment as well. In the “Similar threads” below, I seem to have asked the exact same question last May.
😖😳😂

I normally add the runnings 10 mins from the end of the boil.
@Hazelwood Brewery also uses this method, it cuts down on conditioning time

I do. 20 minutes is enough to cook the black liquor without getting bitterness. I’ve tried adding it at flame out but the flavour was a little raw and grainy.

Do remember if using this approach that you will have no dark roast grain in the mash so you can treat your mash water as if you are brewing a pale beer.

Latest posts

Back