Help with efficiency calculations please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've not bothered before, you get what you get, but I have new kit and it is it's first time out :-)

I had some problems, I'll go into them when I post a brewday thread, but I got wort n it tastes fine.

Ingredients

MOtter 3.00 kg
Wheat 100 g
Crystal 215 g

Hoops Fuggles + Goldings.

Mash 90mins temp variable aim 68 c

PreBoil SG (SG samples cooled). 1.044
Volume 15.9 litre

Post Boil. SG 1.058
Volume. 12 litres

Thanks for looking at this.

Atb. Aamcle

Have not got the software on my phone but it I'll do it when I get home if someone doesn't beat me to it

Malts and adjuncts = 300 gravity points per kg per litre
Crystal malt = 240 gravity points per kg per litre

3.1Kg malts = 930
0.215 Xtal = 52
total = 982
so for 12 litres, 100% efficiency would be a gravity of 1.082 (982/12)
Your gravity was 1.058
Your BHE is 58/82 = 71%, not a bad figure!

I tend to use 90%+ of Maris Otter so I do this.
Total grain weight *295/brew length-=X
last 2 figures from OG*100/X =%efficiency
3.315*295/12
divide this into 5800 gives 71.17%
Good figure. I'm glad it agrees with the above!

Ooo good, I'm lucky to have anything my PID seems to have woodworm for all the good it does!

I'm trying to persuade it to auto tune while I'm typing this.

Thanks All.

Aamcle

These are not brewhouse efficiency figures. According to that Brewer's Friend link you are calculating the Ending Kettle Efficiency (EKE). To calculate BHE you need to measure the volume in the fermenter. This will allow for boiler dead space and hop absorption. (Unless the 12L is the fermenter volume and not the boiler volume - this highlights the issue with people talking about "efficiency" as it is a very loose term).

On my last brew (GW's Black Sheep Ale clone), according to Brewer's Friend, I got EKE of 85% and BHE of 77%.

evanvine said:
Thought we were talking BHE. :wha:
The OP said "Post Boil. SG 1.058 Volume. 12 litres". I took that to mean 12L in the boiler, at the end of the boil, once cooled to ambient. Using that figure in the Brewer's Friend calculator gives EKE. To get BHE, you need to use the volume in the fermenter. But maybe that's what he meant. Or perhaps he meant end of boil volume before cooling. It just isn't clear.

Well I No Chilled so the " end of boil" volume is the volume in the cube.

My beer is happily fermenting away at 20C :-)

Many Thanks. Aamcle

Back