Help with fruit beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
The Mrs wants me to brew her a passion fruit and mango beer. Iv ordered above purée and let say that wasn’t bloody cheap !. Any how’s I’m thinking 50/50 pale ale and wheat malt for the base and a little Munich malt for balance.
Hop wise Iv got some Strata which Iv never used before but read they have a strawberry feel. So I’m looking at
23lt
2kg pale ale
2kg wheat malt
300g Munich malt
60mins 20g strata
Flame out 40g strata
Ferment 20’c lalbrew Windsor
Day 5 add purée

Do you think this looks ok ? And any idea how much purée to add,,ratios of each.

Iv done similar brews with raspberries and been really happy with the result it been a nice sweet and sour, but im wanting a more sweet finish this time.
Help much appreciated.

I rather enjoy making fruit beers particularly fruit sours. The amount of puree to add for a 21 -23 litre batch will vary with the type of fruit and how much fruit flavour you are looking for. Generally 2 litres/2kg of puree will give a clear fruit flavour, though 3 litres is needed for an orange flavour if using orange or clementine juice. Do remember to take account of the sugars in the juice for calculating ABV, and also the volume added to the fermenter of the juice will add to your final volume. I find the trub thicker with a fruit beer so suggest you allow an extra litre of lost volume in the fermenter as well.

I rather enjoy making fruit beers particularly fruit sours. The amount of puree to add for a 21 -23 litre batch will vary with the type of fruit and how much fruit flavour you are looking for. Generally 2 litres/2kg of puree will give a clear fruit flavour, though 3 litres is needed for an orange flavour if using orange or clementine juice. Do remember to take account of the sugars in the juice for calculating ABV, and also the volume added to the fermenter of the juice will add to your final volume. I find the trub thicker with a fruit beer so suggest you allow an extra litre of lost volume in the fermenter as well.
I’m after a really fruity number… Iv never used passion or mango so not too sure how prevalent they will be. Iv done raspberries and cherry and find the raspberry to be very strong. Strength is not so much of a problem as she’s a booze hound. I normally buy frozen fruit and stick them in the pan a mash them but have bought theses, hopefully it will be ok.

Attachments

• IMG_7461.png
    IMG_7461.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7460.png
    IMG_7460.png
    175.7 KB · Views: 0
I’m after a really fruity number… Iv never used passion or mango so not too sure how prevalent they will be. Iv done raspberries and cherry and find the raspberry to be very strong. Strength is not so much of a problem as she’s a booze hound. I normally buy frozen fruit and stick them in the pan a mash them but have bought theses, hopefully it will be ok.
I know you've already purchased the puree concentrates, but Henley Bridge supplies do really quite economically priced purees Boiron | Passion fruit fruit puree | 1 litre

I put 2 kilo of funkin pro passion fruit puree in a 20 l pale ale base when I can afford it and it's lovely. Sour enough for me with just the fruit acid. Dry hopping it with 100g of citra if your flush from a win on the lotto is even lovelier.

Hi all
The Mrs wants me to brew her a passion fruit and mango beer. Iv ordered above purée and let say that wasn’t bloody cheap !. Any how’s I’m thinking 50/50 pale ale and wheat malt for the base and a little Munich malt for balance.
Hop wise Iv got some Strata which Iv never used before but read they have a strawberry feel. So I’m looking at
23lt
2kg pale ale
2kg wheat malt
300g Munich malt
60mins 20g strata
Flame out 40g strata
Ferment 20’c lalbrew Windsor
Day 5 add purée

Do you think this looks ok ? And any idea how much purée to add,,ratios of each.

Iv done similar brews with raspberries and been really happy with the result it been a nice sweet and sour, but im wanting a more sweet finish this time.
Help much appreciated.

Monin syrups.
https://www.discountcocktails.co.uk/monin-mango-syrup-700ml-928
I would make her favourite pale ale, and then taste test in a glass. Use a syringe syrups in small amounts into 100ml of beer.

Then do the math and add to the batch. Add to the fermenter late on. Syrup is about 80% w/w of sugar.

I have had 40 bottles of "meh" before. 🤣 this gives more variety, safer & sooner.

Is you give it a go, please share your numbers.

Ps. Don't be tempted be the cheaper syrups... they are *****. I know. I have tried them. Monin are streets ahead.

Last edited:
I put 2 kilo of funkin pro passion fruit puree in a 20 l pale ale base when I can afford it and it's lovely. Sour enough for me with just the fruit acid. Dry hopping it with 100g of citra if your flush from a win on the lotto is even lovelier.
Iv got 1k of funkin & pro 869g mango so I think il descale the brew to a smaller batch ,I’m already £18 in in purée.! Iv got 200g of CITRA in the freeze but feel reluctant to use as I’d be heading down the ipa route and she’s not a hop head. I’m aiming for a sparkling summer fruit beer.

£18 in. Oops sorry. Doesn't help me recommending a completely different product.

I have a cascade recipe for summer ale. Which would make a good base. It would work with your citra. Certainly wouldn't produce a hop-forward ale, done carefully and staying under 100g total.
Windsor would be a good yeast.

You are chasing a very popular trend at the moment, I know a commercial brewery who is making similar specifically a for the female taste profile.

Iv got 1k of funkin & pro 869g mango so I think il descale the brew to a smaller batch ,I’m already £18 in in purée.! Iv got 200g of CITRA in the freeze but feel reluctant to use as I’d be heading down the ipa route and she’s not a hop head. I’m aiming for a sparkling summer fruit beer.
I've not used mango but your amounts of these are in line with what I've used before for fruit beers, and I think you'll need most of it. Added later in the brew as a secondary addition as you've planned is expected to preserve more of the fruit aroma. I usually add a bit of Citra to this batch size, 40g as a dry hop will give a definite citrus zing to the aroma, about half that will give a more subtle citrus fruit freshness, it won't add any bitterness.

You are chasing a very popular trend at the moment, I know a commercial brewery who is making similar specifically a for the female taste profile.
Careful there with the stereotypes 😜 .. just because we are a bit more discerning and like a bit of variation doesn't mean we have a 'taste profile' 😄

On a serious note. How would a brewery that is specifically engineering a brew that male drinkers really dislike (see what I did there 😁) describe it?

Boddingtons do it on a daily basis...
As for lactose...its unfermentable sugar so the sweetness remains in the beer. Same as used in a milk stout.

Latest posts

Back