Help with Shive sizes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveski

Reaction score
I have purchased a 9-gallon (firkin) sized stainless steel cask from a closed down brewery and am a bit confused on what sized shive I should purchase for it. The outer ID on the cask opening for the shive measures just under 52mm tapering down to about 50mm for the ID on the inside of the cask.

By googling, I have seen type 1 and type 2 shives for sale but no dimensions. Then on ebay there seems to be listings for V10 'D' band and again for 'C' band ones neither with dimensions. The closest match I have seen was ebay green and pink shives, where pink are 51.56mm and green (industry standard size they say) are 52.39mm. My obvious choice would be pink as that sounds closest to my cask opening size however I would be surprised if I have a non standard sized cask so am concerned that may not be a tight fit.

Can anyone help on what I should be using for this cask and whether it has a standard sized opening for the shive or not?

Many Thanks.

The shives are tapered so provided the smallest part will fit and the larger part is bigger than the opening should fit.
You could contact RLBS re this issue.
I find it hard to believe the hole variation across casks would be big.

I have purchased a 9-gallon (firkin) sized stainless steel cask from a closed down brewery and am a bit confused on what sized shive I should purchase for it. The outer ID on the cask opening for the shive measures just under 52mm tapering down to about 50mm for the ID on the inside of the cask.

By googling, I have seen type 1 and type 2 shives for sale but no dimensions. Then on ebay there seems to be listings for V10 'D' band and again for 'C' band ones neither with dimensions. The closest match I have seen was ebay green and pink shives, where pink are 51.56mm and green (industry standard size they say) are 52.39mm. My obvious choice would be pink as that sounds closest to my cask opening size however I would be surprised if I have a non standard sized cask so am concerned that may not be a tight fit.

Can anyone help on what I should be using for this cask and whether it has a standard sized opening for the shive or not?

Many Thanks.
how did you get on with your shives? Did you suss out the sizing in the end and where did you get them from?

Thanks.

Back