help with weird fermentation - Magnum Pinot kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reprobate

Reaction score
Hello folks, I've made a few of these pinot wine kits but I'm still relatively new to wine making. Previously they have gone well and been ready to rack off in 7-10 days with a final reading in the region of 0.080 which is perfect, however I started one over 2 weeks ago and it seems to have stopped with a reading of 1.010. With an SG of 1.070 and final of 1.010 this is about 8%abv where as usually I'm getting 10-12% with previous kits.

Should I rack it off, leave it alone or add more yeast to give it a final boost?

Thanks for any advice.

I've also been experimenting with some supermarket juices in a standard demijohn and so far Asda red grape juice and apple juice has made a fantastic rose, really nice taste and came out at 12% so as the juice is 2 for £2 at the moment I'm going to stock up!

All I can say is that adding yeast when the fermentation is 3/4 done is rarely succsefull.
Yeast dont like to be dumped suddenly into a high alcohol enviroment.

I would just keep it warm and leave it.
While new yeast would die and act as food for the existing colony It has to be faced you MAY have a stuck fermentation.
Under airlock there is no harm in waiting.

Glad you are enjoying your supermarket wine,Its amazing stuff athumb..

Thanks for replying John, I'll leave it alone and give it a few more days based on your advice. Stocks are running low, I might even have to buy some at this rate!!

Latest posts

Back