herbs and spices in beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
what herbs and spices if any have you used in your beer
and what was it and how did it turn out and taste

I made my brucy bonus for Christmas from second runnings of the mash and used nutmeg, cardamom and orange peel in the boil.Once fermented, transferred to the secondary then used 200g of mixed fruit presoaked in whiskey and put it in for 5 days. Turned out to be one of the best brews I've made so far come mid January when the cardamom had eased off letting the subtle hints of orange and raisins through.👍🍺

Sent from my ALE-L21

Cardamom, cinnamon, fennel, cloves & ginger for a masala chai milk stout....delicious. Granted, I added these to a premade beer, but planning on making an imperial milk stout version when it gets colder.

I used some fresh coriander leaf in a recent brew, inspired by Hoddy's excellent rosemary & simcoe pale.

I only used 25g total and it could have taken a bit more

I used some fresh coriander leaf in a recent brew, inspired by Hoddy's excellent rosemary & simcoe pale.

I only used 25g total and it could have taken a bit more

Hi Dan, how much more do you think? I guess it was a normal 23 litre brew..?

I'm thinking of 'adjusting' my next brew...:!:

Hi Dan, how much more do you think? I guess it was a normal 23 litre brew..?

I'm thinking of 'adjusting' my next brew...:!:

Hi Marlon
The 25g was based on the amount of rosemary Hoddy used so I thought this would be a good starting point, using 10g @ 5mins and 15g dry hop (23L brew).

I'm gonna re-make this at some point soon and will increase each addition by 5g
:cheers:

Hi Marlon
The 25g was based on the amount of rosemary Hoddy used so I thought this would be a good starting point, using 10g @ 5mins and 15g dry hop (23L brew).

I'm gonna re-make this at some point soon and will increase each addition by 5g
:cheers:

That'll be interesting Dan, keep us posted. I'm guessing the Rosemary was the dried variety?

Yes it was fresh rosemary direct from my garden. Lightly chopped to release the oils from it. Dried rosemary brought out a woody flavour. Whereas the fresh has a really light refreshing quality to it with the boat load of simcoe.

I'm working on a V3 version that I'm planning to brew in the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes it was fresh rosemary direct from my garden. Lightly chopped to release the oils from it. Dried rosemary brought out a woody flavour. Whereas the fresh has a really light refreshing quality to it with the boat load of simcoe.

I'm working on a V3 version that I'm planning to brew in the next few weeks.

Excellent! Thanks. SWMBO's got fresh Rosemary in the garden, I'm giving it a go as soon as I get the chance.

Today I tried adding lavender syrup to a little lager sample - just to see what it's like - NOT a good idea - it'll never catch on in this house..... (had this crazy idea come to me yesterday...It'll not happen again) :doh::-?

Rosemary, that sounds good. I've got tons in my garden (the **** doesn't stop growing) and my wife loves anything rosemary. I wonder if it would be too bad to add it to a pilsner!? What do you think?

Rosemary, that sounds good. I've got tons in my garden (the **** doesn't stop growing) and my wife loves anything rosemary. I wonder if it would be too bad to add it to a pilsner!? What do you think?

Yeah that would work @japanbrew it needs something to balance it tho. Like a boatload of piney hops. And it really suits a dry and crisp beer.

But unless you like a hop charged beer/pilsner then maybe not.

But I would love to hear how it would work in a beer in lesser quantities in rosemary and also hops.

Crazy ideas are good. That's how I came up with this one and a few of my others [emoji23]

@Hoddy I was thinking too. Some hallertau hops or maybe saaz. I know I've got a ton of saaz.
I don't want it super hoppy either. I'll try 3 or 4 small batches, upping the amounts each time. Maybe even the last one dry hopping. This will be fun.

Can't abide herbs or spices in beer other than a hint of coriander in a Belgian style ale, though the rosemary does sound interesting. Without sounding like a total idiot, does it impart a distinct rosemary flavour or is it more subtle than that?

Can't abide herbs or spices in beer other than a hint of coriander in a Belgian style ale, though the rosemary does sound interesting. Without sounding like a total idiot, does it impart a distinct rosemary flavour or is it more subtle than that?

It's quite subtle when you get the balance between the Rosemary and a piney hop combo. Plus a crisp base beer to go with it helps too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back