High OG wort slow getting going

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookyy2k

Reaction score
I am currently brewing a very high OG style beer (OG 1.162), I pitched at a rate of around 1 million cells with an appropriate alcohol tolerance/attenuation white labs liquid yeast.

The lag was approximately 7 hours then activity began. I have held the fermentation temperature at around 21⁰C which is the upper end of the temperature rage for the selected yeast to give it a bit of a helping hand with that gravity. Now 3 days later the wort is down to 1.116.

That feels a little sluggish (that gravity obviously won't be helping). Is that an acceptable rate for such a high OG wort or have I got a problem?

If there is a problem what's the best solution? I could pitch some more of the same yeast but obviously I don't want to go overboard.

1m cells/L/p seems a little low for a beer of this gravity, I usually pitch a little above that for session-mid strenght ales (1.035-55).
What was the grain bill and mash regimen like?
Afternoon, sorry didn't notice you'd responded.

It was 4.2 kg base malts 14 litres Mashed at 67⁰C for 60 mins with 8 litre post boil volume and 500 g dark candi syrup as a flame out addition.

In the end it get going a bit better after this post and I bottled it yesterday after 3 days at 1.014. It ended up with a significant yeast cake plus trub in the primary.

Now just need to wait for the bottle conditioning and see how it turns out. Hopefully I got away with the underpitchig.

Latest posts

Back