Leaving wort overnight query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shd

Reaction score
Hi all,

Being a complete novice, I'm expecting my wort to either be over under in terms of required temperature for my first St Peters kit (18-20c)
Can anyone confirm if its a problem leaving the wort overnight in the house (covered of course !) for its temperature to stabilise before i add the hops and yeast, or is it ideal to try to get temperature as close as possible first time around and pitch at the same time ?

TA
shd

Although pitching 5/8 degrees higher than manufacturers ideal, it will be dropping as the yeast awakes and I think they will have some leeway built into their specifications so as long as it is dropping and reaches viable temps before it kicks off big style it should be ok.
Ps not to be done unless it is unavoidable though

5-8c above the manufacturers suggested...really ?
I think the manufacturers state a temp range that will work for sure though yeasts are natural products and have a relatively wide latitude as far as temp is concerned .... I normally prefer 18-20c but with doing all grain I generally stop cooling the wort at 28c, and using well known ale yeasts, has never been an issue.

Have a look at the Safale S-04 spec - use that yeast occasionally with kits, instead of supplied yeast: SafAle™ S-04

Last edited:
Works fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221116-141047.png
    Screenshot_20221116-141047.png
    220.4 KB · Views: 0
I think the manufacturers state a temp range that will work for sure though yeasts are natural products and have a relatively wide latitude as far as temp is concerned .... I normally prefer 18-20c but with doing all grain I generally stop cooling the wort at 28c, and using well known ale yeasts, has never been an issue.

Have a look at the Safale S-04 spec - use that yeast occasionally with kits, instead of supplied yeast: SafAle™ S-04
Klaus…thanks for your reply and mention of s04
Think I need to have a read up first
I think it’s a step too far for me currently but it would be interesting to do the same kit in the future but using s04 instead for a comparison

Latest posts

Back