Highly attenuating saison yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezbrews

Apprentice commercial brewer, amateur home brewer
Reaction score
I initially wanted to use Lallemand's Belle Saison, however I learn that it's a diastatic strain which I would rather not use (I eventually want to be able to brew the recipe at the brewery I work at on the pilot kit: no diastatic allowed!)

But I want a strain that will be highly attenuating and give me apple and/or pear character, ideally red apple (ie typically apple juice rather than sour green apple), but not tropical fruit.

Last edited:
CML Wallonia 85-92% attenuation.
CML tend to repackage other manufacturers’ yeasts so I would suspect this is one of the 3 main diastaticus saison yeasts (I say 3 but the MJ one is rumoured just to be Belle Saison repackaged).

upload_2021-4-18_22-32-14.png

I made a saison with Wallonia which I really enjoyed, but it went down to nearly 1.000 and I am fairly.sure influenced future brews too.

Safale BE-256 Abbaye isn't diastatic but attenuates well and will have the fruity profile. It is pof negative though, but could be mixed with T-58 if you want to add some peppery notes.

Last edited:
Lallemand also have Farmhous, which is a non-diastatic Saison strain.

I used it in a Petit Saison and was really pleased with it.
What flavours do you get from it? According to the Lallemand site, it won't deliver the profile I'm looking for.

CML tend to repackage other manufacturers’ yeasts so I would suspect this is one of the 3 main diastaticus saison yeasts (I say 3 but the MJ one is rumoured just to be Belle Saison repackaged).
I got an email back pretty fast, he didn't say it was diastatic so I would assume not.

CML Wallonia 85-92% attenuation.
Further to the comment above (I can't add your quote for some reason) he also described it as soft fruit and citrus, so not really the flavour profile I'm looking for.

Basically, I'm trying to find a non-diastatic Belle Saison!

Are you only looking at dry yeast?

WLP561 is a blend of STA1 negative saison strains, but again they mention tropical fruit.

Only thing that springs to mind for pear and red apple is WLP023 Burton Ale, but that won't give you the attenuation you're looking for.

Might be worth splitting a batch with different STA1 negative yeasts and seeing which you like best?

Are you only looking at dry yeast?

WLP561 is a blend of STA1 negative saison strains, but again they mention tropical fruit.

Only thing that springs to mind for pear and red apple is WLP023 Burton Ale, but that won't give you the attenuation you're looking for.

Might be worth splitting a batch with different STA1 negative yeasts and seeing which you like best?
I did actually consider WLP023 but as it lacks the saison character and high attenuation, I would need to blend which is not something I'm looking to experiment with here, as I have no idea what might dominate and it could be expensive for someone just above minimum wage as an apprentice brewer...

I had heard of non-STA1son, but for the reason you mentioned, it wouldn't be appropriate.

I might have to do that. I sent an email to my new pal at Lallemand, an R&D scientist to ask about alternatives to Belle Saison based on the same profile but sta1-, hopefully hear back from him on Monday!

Back