Highly attenuating saison yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is co-pitching a viable option? For example use a yeast for the flavour early on in the fermentation for say the first 48 hours or longer, and then tip in a starter of a higher attenuator to achieve the final gravity

Exactly, what? Breweries in different countries have genetically similar yeasts. Duvel and McEwans being a classic example, but one makes an iconic Belgian beer, the other certainly never has. De Dochter van de korenaar uses an american yeast to make Belgian beer. Where did EDME source the yeast they cellotaped to their tin can?

This explains why the OP can't find a solution. Too much thinking in boxes, rather than focussing on process and working out how to use what is available to reach the desired out come.

https://beerandbrewing.com/belgian-beer-youre-probably-doing-it-wrong/
https://beerandbrewing.com/brasseri...ets, cofounder and,We asked him to elaborate.

In what way am I "thinking in boxes"? I'm trying to find certain character, which is hardly unreasonable.

Is co-pitching a viable option? For example use a yeast for the flavour early on in the fermentation for say the first 48 hours or longer, and then tip in a starter of a higher attenuator to achieve the final gravity
Whilst technically viable, it's high risk on the basis that there is no way of knowing how any two yeasts will interact unless someone has already done exactly the same brew, malts hops and all.

WLP400 witbier yeast produces pear and pepper like a saison yeast, but only attenuates to 75%. I don't know if that's good enough. If not, you might just want to add extra table sugar and/or do a super long mash overnight to improve the fermentability. However with respect to its flavors, it could pass for a saison I think.

I'm trying to get down to 1.005 or thereabouts, and only an abv of just above 4% (4.2% to be precise but I know in reality it's difficult to control for such specific levels). I'm concerned that using sugar to get to such an FG but also keeping a low abv could result in me using largely sugar and so a weak flavoured beer. Is this a concern?

I'm trying to get down to 1.005 or thereabouts, and only an abv of just above 4% (4.2% to be precise but I know in reality it's difficult to control for such specific levels). I'm concerned that using sugar to get to such an FG but also keeping a low abv could result in me using largely sugar and so a weak flavoured beer. Is this a concern?
Great question. The answer is, it depends. It depends mostly on the mouth of the beerholder. Whether the beer is perceived as "weak" is a personal thing.

If you wish to avoid a weak flavored beer, I'll suggest once again -- why not mash in before bed, let it mash all night long, and runoff and brew the rest of the way on the second day. This will tend to convert a greater percentage of those pesky starches and dextrins into fermentable sugars.

Latest posts

Back